Idle Problems, Boat Shuts off After Turning Over

FishBlitz

Cadet
I have a 1998 Johnson 50hp two stroke. I have an electric starter with the push in key choke. When ever I go to try and start my engine, it turns over normal and then cuts off like it's not receiving fuel. I always move my idle level all the way up as soon as the engine turns over and it slowly dies out. If my engine doesn't cut out, eventually it warms up enough to start idling higher. I'm not sure if maybe my idle has wiggled itself loose and isn't idling high enough? I'm not sure if maybe I need a new primer ball? I eventually can get it started, but something isn't right here. My rpm gauge shows im idling at 2000rpm when I'm at high idle and about 900 when im at low idle. I pulled my spark plug connectors off one at a time to see if maybe it's a carb problem. When I unplugged the top one, my engine continued to run fine on the ear muffs. When I unplugged the bottom one, my engine cut off after about 10 seconds? Could this be a carb problem? Or is this two separate issues? Any thoughts please comment.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Before tearing into the carb, check compression and spark. It could be the carb, but you have to eliminate areas first.

Fed

Commander
When you sense it's going to die momentarily push the key in.

FishBlitz

Cadet
I never had to choke it after the boat started and I've owned it for over a year now. I put new spark plugs in it thinking maybe the plugs were just old and that did not fix the problem. As for checking the compression of the carb, What do I have to buy to check that?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Rent a compression tester from Auto Zone or other auto store. But before doing that, check on line for instructions on how to perform a compression test.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check your spark. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Rent a compression tester from Auto Zone or other auto store. But before doing that, check on line for instructions on how to perform a compression test.
You'll find instructions on the" Engine FAQs" board......... and you'll find a link to that in the "Top secret file" at the head of this board.