1958 Evinrude Lark 35hp Underwater

ceelonium

Cadet
Apologies in advance for writing on a topic that may have other threads -- I was unable to find something specific to older outboards -- which I am hoping will be my saving grace here

Lone-Star boat went under in my friend's pond. Not sure how long it has been under because my friend went out of town and did not know until they came back from the holidays.

At worst the boat and outboard went completely under and stayed there for a week. We pulled her out today but I had to go straight to work after this so no chance of doing anything to the outboard other than tilt it up.

I have read that "time is of the essence" and I need to try to get the engine turned over and to get water out of the plugs etc etc

Problem is - I am in no position to do any of that. It is an electric start and I have only been using the trolling motor on it and have not run the engine all summer except cranking it up every now and then - because it's on a 2 acre pond and we don't wanna upset the neighbors.

What is the worst-case scenario? I understand this will be a complete tear-down and rebuild but is the outbard salvadgeable?

Thanks in advance for all your advice

Attachments

• photo213719.jpg
    photo213719.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The manuals say that the motor MUST be started as soon as possible !!!----------If that can not be done then the best place for it is back under water where oxygen can not get at it.----Do not waste any time on this or the damage will be pitting on the crankshaft and rod bearings and polished surfaces.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If it was a fresh water pond get it running asap. You may be able to save it. If it was a salt water pond throw it in a tank of fresh water until you get to it.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I would drain any water pull the plugs spray in some wd or pb blaster.

Pull the carb and clean it out. Hook up new gas line and tank.

See if you can get it to fire. If yes let it run for a long time.

It is possible to pull start bigger motors, often there is a cord up under the cowl.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Take the starter off and apart and dry it out, unless you're a strong bastard, you won't be pull starting it. Then as mentioned get it running as soon as possible. Foolishly a friend left his 9.9 Tohatsu on a leaking inflatable and it sank. We dried the starter, pulled the plugs, dumped the water out, spun it over a few times with some WD-40, drained the carb bowls and oil, hooked everything back up and it ran fine. As mentioned run it around for an hour and let it heat up and dry out. Eventually he might have some corroded wires, but all's well for now.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If you can't deal with it ASAP, either pay someone else to or dunk it again until you're able to deal with it. Otherwise, it'll be nothing but a parts motor in short order...

ceelonium

Cadet
Thank you for the insight. I have done the following:
1. hosed down completely with cowl off
2. pulled plugs and sprayed wd40 inside/ then replaced plugs
3. hosed the carb down with wd40
4. turned her over a dozen or so revolutions with pull cord
5. emptied fuel tank and replaced with fresh fuel/oil mix
6. lowered the outboard inito tank of water but only to the lower casing

So, she's definitely not locked up because the pull cord pulls with nominal effort. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary when I pull a few revolutions.

My BIG problem at the moment is the fuel tank. It has a primer bulb type thing that you squeeze - but that is not pulling any fuel out and the bulb itself is quite stiff and I wrap it with a hot towel to get it soft enough to squeeze but it simply will not pull fuel out of the tank. I'm not sure how to otherwise safely get fuel to the carb and am sort of stuck at this point on what to do next.

There is a guy on Craigslist who says he works only on Evinrude Johnson - he's in Jackson GA which is not that far from me - his name is Jimmy if anyone knows him or if you have any recommendations for Atlanta area.

Thanks

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just get another bulb and piece of hose and a gallon jug and make up a satellite tank, mix the right amount of oil in, and ounce of Sea Foam (from NAPA) and get it running. You can pump the main tank and fix those hoses later.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So, it has been under water for a week or more, huh? If the bearings aren't etched in that motor, you are extremely lucky. You might get it running and dried out, but that won't cure the damaged bearings. And if they are damaged, it will fail later on. Whatever you decide to do, don't delay by fooling with the tank and externals. Do whatever you must do to get that baby running ASAP. Time is not on your side.