25r75b. Need some pics and advice

grizzrider09

Seaman
So I just bought this motor and it seems like a solid engine but it needs some TLC. I have no history on it except the previous owner said it would start and idle but wouldn't go full throttle. Its missing some pieces around the carb like the spring that connects the choke lever so when you pull the choke it doesn't engage. If anybody could take a pic of theirs so that I could see how to hook it up it would be much appreciated. Now that's the small thing. The twist throttle moves like half an inch from stop to full and somebody painted the motor for hunting and I can't read the marks to tell where it starts and stops. This small movement seems wrong to me. Also the roller above the carb starts about half an inch to the left of marks under the flywheel. Can anybody take some pics for me so I can see where things need to be and give me some advice on how to put em in the right spot. It won't start like the guy said and I would like to fix it. Thanks for the help. I will try and post pics tomorrow

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
For a picture of the carb look on EBAY. It is listed as johnson carburetor assembly 0385815. As for the twist grip throttle you need to find out where it needs to be when starting and at idle. I would ignore the start and fast written on there. They where not very accurate. Also you should have a throttle stop of some kind that when you slow down it keeps the motor from stalling. It should be a plastic screw. Follow the tiller handle and you will see it. It butts up against a gear. When starting put in neutral and advance the throttle until it is stops. Then try and start. You can only have full throttle in forward gear.

Last edited:

grizzrider09

Seaman
Thanks for the help and the pic on eBay. I got it to crank today but it won't idle. I have a carb kit on the way. Couple of questions. Which way does the float sit. Flat side to the bowl or the other way. And how many turns on the slow speed needle do I need to come out to get it close to right

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If the float has a cutout it goes towards the bowl. One and a half turns from lightly seated for the slow speed needle. You can look at an exploded view of the carb at shopevinrude.com

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure on that engine, but the reason the throttle doesn't move very far could be because the engine is in the neutral position. When you put it in forward, then the twist throttle should move a lot further. It is set up that way to keep from over riving the engine in a no load conditions. Reverse should also so be limited too...

AlTn

Commander
the little metal tab on the float arm always points upwards with the carb in the upright position