Frozen swivel bracket How to unfreeze

w2much

Lieutenant
Just picked up a 1955 7.5 Fleetwin with a tank. I don't know why but I hope to get it running again. Throttle arm and swivel bracket are frozen. Transom clamps loosened with heat then oils. The throttle arm seems easy enough to diassemble clean and grease but the swivel bracket seems to be the bigger challenge. I sprayed a few penetrants and greased the zirk but she is frozen good. Any suggestions are appreciated.

w2much

Lieutenant
. I guess I'll give it plenty of the first two plus a good dose of time before moving on to take it apart. Will heat melt or ruin some of the parts in there? Seems to be a gasket or grommet or something between the parts.Thanks for your reply.
The parts I am referring to are called liners in the parts diagram.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Don't use anything hotter than Mapp gas and then be patient..

w2much

Lieutenant
I have nothing hotter .The liners will not burn or dissintergrate ?Thank you again.

Cwo6298

Cadet
If you watch where you're directing the heat you should be fine. It may take a few times of heating it up and blasting pb blaster or the like to get it unstuck. Good luck, hope it will free up.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sure, I've used heat on lots of swivel brackets. But that really isn't the way to go. You really should take it apart and clean the corrosion out of it. The liners are rubber lower and a fiber material that resembles wood, upper. It is the upper that builds up corrosion and there is no way to get it out except to take it apart.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree with F_R on this one. Take it apart and clean it the proper way and you will have a much better operation there after. It really isn't that difficult and you will learn more about your new (old ) engine too!

arcadiainc

Seaman Apprentice
Take out the zerk fitting and use a piece of wire {paper clip, whatever} and attempt to gouge out dirt and old grease. Make sure the zerk is working and attempt to grease. Careful with the wire. Do not scratch or damage anything. In the process you may spray some lubricant in the zerk hole.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
See, what happens to those things is that corrosion builds up between the upper liner and the aluminum swivel bracket. The liner is pinned and does not rotate when you steer. And zerk grease only gets in the inside of the liner, not the outside of it. Therefor, since it doesn't move, there is no way to get that corrosion out except to take it apart and scrape it out.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
There aren't very many pieces to remove, and you won't know what shape the gaskets are in unless you take it apart and clean it properly. Plus if you squirt oil in it you'll have oil dripping out forever.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
See, what happens to those things is that corrosion builds up between the upper liner and the aluminum swivel bracket. The liner is pinned and does not rotate when you steer. And zerk grease only gets in the inside of the liner, not the outside of it. Therefor, since it doesn't move, there is no way to get that corrosion out except to take it apart and scrape it out.

Sounds like another of your " do it once, do it right" bits of advice.
Just one of the reasons I always read your posts at least twice. :)