2012 Evinrude 50hp ETEC Questions???

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gentlemen I am thinking of buying a used boat that has 2012 Evinrude 50hp Etec motor on it. I have always owned Yamaha outboards! So my question is what do you all think of this motor? How Many people on here are running this motor? How doe the ETEC work and hold up? I just don't want to buy a bad outboard motor or one that has a lot of problems. Please help with any info.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
A friend of mine has one and swears by it. Says it's the best motor he's ever had.

alldodge

Staff member
Evinrude has been making motors long before Yamaha ever thought about it. Not saying Yam's are better or worst then Rude's, just a Ford Chevy thing. There are good and bad all over, but have heard good things about the motor.

Google "2012 Evinrude 50hp Etec problems" and there isn't much out there

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The Etec is a direct injected 2 stroke outboard that exceeds all CARB requirements.The basic configuration resembles the 2 cylinder 40,50 and 60
Evinruide/Johnson motors of many years.When sold new it had no break in period and no service required for 3 years or 300 hours.
So it's possible the motor hasn't had its first scheduled maintenance service.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will not find much on websites for these motors.-----Owners are the type who only want and understand new is better.--------------These owners also understand that they are generally to be taken to the dealer for service work.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well i ran the motor after buying and was impressed but now a new problem has came up.

I noticed after running it for a few hours and getting back home that I have green oil coming from inside the prop leaking on the ground! Any ideas what would cause this?

It is green and leaked just a bit onto the pavement. Not sure if it's left over oil from running or lower unit oil leaking? It is coming from inside the prop and leaking out onto the ground. Any ideas or possiable causes of this?

Thanks in advance!!!!

82rude

Rear Admiral
lower unit leak?take it in its got lots of warranty left .regardless wether its oil or gear oil neither should happen with that motor.i have the 2011 60 hp and id put it up against any mfg 60 hp in all catagoreis .i love it !

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
green o?l... thats a clue for you to inspect the only o?l sources on that engine. but if Under warranty don't mess with it

My own 75 ETEC started dripping oil one summer after a long ride in real choppy water ....cracked o?l tank replaced under warranty in year 6 of my coverage

other possibility is gearcase o?l ... to confirm just check the color of the o?l in the gearcase

but green is weird ...personnaly never seen green o?l except in tcw3 oils with a greenish-blue color when mixed in gas
do you have tcw3 o?l in the tank or xd-100 olive o?l color

82rude

Rear Admiral
oil shouldnt be coming from the prop area period.if you suspect that its 2 stroke oil thats definetly not right .the etec does not mix gas with oil at any time .it uses what they call pinpoint oiling. a common mistake people do is mistake the winter storage lever for a warm up lever thus putting the motor into possible winterizing mode.there is no warm up lever ,forget your old outdated motors when you buy an etec their not the same. hers a review and explanation of the basics of etec.http://www.marineenginedigest.com/profiles/evinrude/etec.htm

Last edited:

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I called today and they said it was not under warranty? They said the motor is 2011 model and was built in 02/2011 and only had 3 years warranty! So I had them do a full service and change all seals and the water pump. It ended up being the propler shaft seal that was bad, So now to the new question what warranty did the 2011 Etec cover? Does anyone know of a site to look up the motor model or serial for warranty info?

Thanks again for all the help

82rude

Rear Admiral
my 2011 60 hp etec has a 6 year warranty.when I bought mine in the spring of 2012. evinrude came out with a extra 3 years to match mercs 5 year plan at the time.mine was covered under that new warranty as it was still in the box.today I see they have a 7 year warranty special on now.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
fishing line damaged seals are probably not coverrred anyway....... if that was the case

warranty should begin at sale date not production date imho anyway can you establish sale date

82rude

Rear Admiral
when I bought mine in the spring of 2012 it had or was going to have a 3 year warranty .the day before I actually paid and took possession brp added 3 years to compete with mercs 5 year warranty.so my warranty went from date of sale which was the day that brp added 3 years.dont quote or trust me on this but I believe up until the spring of 2012 it was indeed only a 3 year warranty for 2011 motors.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Two more questions about this motor.

1. I have the tiller handle model and while on the transom saver/motor toter the motor still wants to move some any suggestions or tips to better secure.

2. The tiller handle want stay up it falls down when the motor is up on the transom saver/motor toter. Is there a adjustment or something to allow it to stay upright while being trailered? As it stands right now with both questions they both create the handle rubbing the back fishing deck and scratching it along with the motor.

At the present time I have a gun sock on it to stop from scratching but that's a temp fix to figure something out.

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the parts for a tiller conversion kit there appears to be a bushing in the tiller pivot
It appears that you could tighten the pivot bolt and lock nut enough to apply some friction.Don't force it.
Perhaps the bushing is worn.The lock nut seems to indicate it can be tightened to a certain torque and stay that way.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at the parts for a tiller conversion kit there appears to be a bushing in the tiller pivot

It appears that you could tighten the pivot bolt and lock nut enough to apply some friction.Don't force it.
Perhaps the bushing is worn.The lock nut seems to indicate it can be tightened to a certain torque and stay that way.

To u happen to have the picture of this parts? When I bought it the handle was lose and I tighten down both screws or bolts where the tiller handler connects to the motor. It was lose causing the handle itself to be lose. Once tightened the handle is no longer lose but falls down when tilted up.

I also found a screw/bolt that I tightened as tight as I could get it. No change. Not even sure what that bolt was for. I have looked a couple of times and didn't see anywhere or anything to adjust the tiller to not fall. I might not be looking in the right area. You would think they would have installed a device that you could lock the tiller handle in place while tilted so it would stay in place while trailering?

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I finally found what u were talking about it was right in front of me the hole time. Sure enough tightend the bolt as much as I could and it applied friction to wear it want go down anymore. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Try tightening up the bolt that holds the tiller handle on. I posted this on the 1st PP. O' well, better late than never.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I'd want to talk direct to Bombardier. Contact the Bombardier customer service phone in Wisconsin: 262-884-5993