4hp evin. wont start, pops when trying to start

nigel13

Recruit
Hay everyone, Ive got a 1975 4hp evinrude that wont start. Sometimes when I pull the cord it "pops". please tell me how I can get it going again. thanks.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 4hp evin. wont start, pops when trying to start

You say '...how can I get it running again'. A little history please. Is this a new motor to you?? When was the last time you had it running? Will it briefly run if you spray fuel/oil mix directly into the carb throat?? Give us a little more info so we can help you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Nigel.<br /><br />Go to FAQ and do the troubleshooting in "Outboard Wont Start".<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Apparently it was running?<br /><br />Do as Xcusme suggests...squirt some fuel mix down the throat of the carb and see if she fires.<br /><br />If she fires, you have a fuel flow problem. Does the primer bulb pump up snug?<br /><br />If she justs pops, pop the flywheel and give the points and coils a look. A pop every now and then usually indicates a spark problem. Check the gaps are set at .020. Coils in good condition with no cracks showing? Spark plugs good and gaps at .030? <br /><br />When was the last time you had the engine tuned up?

nigel13

Recruit

hi again, ive had this 2stroke motor for about 1 year and it wasn't working then but I took it to the the mechanics and he gave it a new headgasket and other stuff. Ive been running it regularly so it wouldnt seise and I had it going about 1-2weeks ago. Its model #'s: 45B36A and its<br />serial #'s: A119333.<br />thanks again