Water Pump Lower Unit question 1958 35hp Seahorse

ohmydog

Seaman Apprentice
Finally read manual directions about putting small bit of oil on quadrant ring before installing seal. Unfortunately for me, I found those directions too late. I broke the seal in half just trying to slide it on the shaft with my fingers. Damn, a $24 mistake.

Everything is back on now except for the LU. That will get done tomorrow and I'll run another test. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ohmydog

Seaman Apprentice
Fired it up today. It appears that I'm not getting any water going through the pump as there is none coming out the hole. Not sure what to check at this point.

When putting it back together I followed these steps:
install water pump plate
install impeller key
slide impeller down shaft
spin shaft clockwise while sliding water pump housing over impeller
continue spinning shaft while tighten housing screws
lightly grease splines
install o ring
slide LU up and slightly spin crankshaft until splines slide up easily into place
also check that water hose is lightly greased and slides into water pump housing grommet
reconnect gear linkage
tighten bolts, refill gear, make sure gears are lined up and shifting correctly...and done, right?

I uploaded a small video here https://www.flickr.com/photos/129838894@N02/15986060342/ Hopefully you can view it.

nwcove

Admiral
good gawd..get the pump submerged in yer barrel.....it wont self prime!!!!

ohmydog

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I definitely did not have enough water in the tub. Like I said at the beginning, this is all new to me.

Anyway, so I made it through the holidays and finally had a nice day off. I filled the tub to the top and ran another test today. The motor ran perfectly! I'm pretty excited to take her out on the water now.

Just want to say thanks to all who've helped me on this thread (and others) get through this process. Happy new year.