1980 15hp power head rebuild questions

BRC

Cadet
I am about ready to split the cylinder case to get to the crankshaft and ultimately replace a piston and rings due to a sieze. I do not want to replace items that are still good but am not sure what to look for.<br />Specifically how do I determine if the bearings are good or bad. Can I make that determination now before I go in by checking for slop in the crank or am I looking for discoloration? Are there any parts that should be replaced as a matter of maintenance since I am in the case anyway? Any advice would be helpfull as I am entering uncharted territory.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980 15hp power head rebuild questions

You really need a Repair Manual, BRC.<br /><br />You will need to dismantle and inspect the lower end to determine if the bearings need replacement.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi BRC,<br /> Typically, bearings in need of replacement are OBVIOUSLY in need of replacement. Bearings that spin quietly, are shiny, and mate onto equally shiny journal surfaces are probably good. Bearings that have dark colored pits, rust, ridges, flat spots, etc. are probably bad. Race engine builders actually like using used bearings, as the motors run looser and faster...<br /> Also - get a manual - worth it's initial cost in saved frustration...<br />- Scott

BRC

Cadet

Thanks for both your input. I do have a manual and have been studying it thoroughly. It is a great help but tends to state things matter of factly with the assumption you know all the rest.<br />This board has been a great place to fill in all the blanks.