Johnson HD25 Rebuild kit

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson HD25 Rebuild kit

Hi Ron,<br /> Your motor is over 50 years old - not likely to find a kit, per se. However, you may be able to get it going with some sleuthing, ingenuity, and good luck. I'd start in one of two places..<br /> Here: www.aomci.org<br /> or Here: A long-established marina with a mechanic who's sporting gray hair and a name like Butch, Bob, or Duke. You want the guy who was there when the motor came out in the late 1940s. You also want the guy who hasn't become so cynical that he'd rather sell you a new motor over fixing up your old gem. He might just have a stash in some back shed with what you're looking for.<br /> What exactly does your motor need? A simple tear down, thorough cleaning and reassembly might be just the ticket...<br />- Scott

Mark R Groves

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson HD25 Rebuild kit

I rebuilt one of these motors a couple of years back. There really isn't much in the way of kit required for this motor. As long as the crank, pistons, rods, and bearings are in reasonable shape, all you should really need is a fresh set of rings and a head gasket and some sealer 2000. I placed an ad on the AOMCI board for these parts and had three responses. I ended up buying the rings from a Dan Gano out of Spirit lake Iowa. Check out his site at www.ganotech.com. The other things you should probably replace are the impeller, the condensors and the wires. The points can easily be sufficiently cleaned up without replacement. The carb is simple and will only need a good cleaning. There is a guy on ebay who is constantly selling impellers for these motors for about $10.00, I bought one from him. For the condensors and wires I got lucky, my local OMC (BMC) dealer had these available. I hope this helps.<br /><br />By the way does anyone out there have a lower cowl for this motor? It's the one part I need to complete the project.<br /><br />MG