1988 110 HP EVINRUDE ( TEMPERATURE SWITCH)

dyerfish

Recruit
HELLO, I JUST HAD MY MOTOR OVERHEAT ,BUT I NEVER HEARD ANY BUZZING,SO I FOUND OUT HOW TO CHECK THE BUZZER,TURNED OUT I JUST HAD TO WIGGLE IT A LITTLE,NOW IT WORKS (DONT THINK I WILL HEAR IT WHILE MOTOR IS RUNNING), MY QUESTION IS, HOW DO I CHECK THE TEMPERATURE SWITCHES , TO MAKE SURE THEY EVEN WORK ?,THERE ARE 2 TOTAL,1 IN EACH CYLINDER HEAD ,THANK YOU

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You can check the wiring by grounding the switch wire to see if the alarm sounds. As for the switch itself, there is no way without removing it. And if you are going to do all that, you might as well replace them anyway. Especially since they have been overheated and possibly damaged.

BTW, the warning system is all but worthless in the case of sudden cooling failure at high speeds. The powerhead will cook and seize before the alarm ever goes off. Seen it happen way too often.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
F-R, what do you mean by "sudden cooling at high speed" ??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That's "sudden cooling failure".

You probably remember the rash of spun impeller hubs of the late 1960's-early 1970's, don't you? You are going along without a care in the world, when suddenly the engine tightens up and seizes and you sit there looking at the smoke coming up. 9 times out of 10 the owner swears the horn never blew. Those were the good old days.