could it be the power pack???

rich0423

Recruit
I have a 2000 Johnson 115 Ocean Pro. The engine starts right up and idles fine. After I idle out of marina (about 10 minutes) and run hard for a while it will stall after going to a slower speed. It doesnt stall immediately, usually after 30 seconds or so. it acts like you turned the key off. It will start right back up but will continue to quit. If I let it sit for about 15 - 30 minutes it will run then repeat the problem. Carbs have been rebuilt, Sync and Link has been done and new impeller this spring. Any ideas? Thanks

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
It might be the coils heating up and calling it quits, try taking a timing light out there and when it acts up see if it has spark.
Maybe fuel pump, but you think that'd give you the sputters first.
I had a off road motorcycle do just what you described.
I'd get a few miles into the race and it's just quit.
Wait a minute or so, good for a while, etc.
Turned out the vent for the fuel tank was clogged with mud, fuel would not get down to carb.
In the 80's Dodge Ramcharger had a service bulletin , same thing as you described. As a Chrysler repair tech, I had one and spent a ton of hours trying to figure it out, then the service bulletin came out.
Seemed the rubber fuel line inside would collapse near the fuel tank??!!
See if you have spark, then fuel.
Joe
always take ANY advice I give with a can of beer or 2!

rich0423

Recruit
Yes it is the OIS system. I just pulled coils to make sure grounds were clean and I found the epoxy on backs of both coils and power pack cracked. I think I may have found my problem. Please chime in if you think otherwise. Trying to post pics of what I found.

CDI Tech

Recruit
Replace the coils definitely! I think you may have solved your issue as well. :high5: