Just a little advice please

jhud

Cadet
Hello all, I am into my first rebuild on a 95 Evinrude 90 crossflow. Things are going well so far but I am a little confused about a couple things. First what is the orientation of the crankcase seal ring gaps? I believe the manual says to face them down but I think Iv'e read on the forum to stager them. Next on sealing the crankcase half's. Where to apply the locktite 518 bead ? I figure around the edges and bolt holes but what about the larger flat surfaces and the fingers that extend to the ring seals and bearings. I know to stay 1/4" away but how do i lay the bead in those areas? I would greatly appreciate your insight

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Orientation of the gaps is unimportant, and doesn't matter. They can't be expected to stay after it starts running anyway. They say to point them down just for ease of assembly so they don't get snagged when you put the case together.

jhud

Cadet
Thank you for the answer about the crankcase rings. Anybody know the best way to seal the crankcase ?

daselbee

Commander
I apply the bead, and then spread it very thinly with my finger. I get all those areas you mentioned very lightly covered. I do not rely on the halves to squish the bead out, and have it be a perfect squish if you get my idea.
Spread it out very thinly, the color will be a pastel light pink, not really RED, but pink. When you torque it, very little should squish out the sides of the block.

A little goes a long way.