1954 Johnson 5.5 Roll Pin Install

kylehuffer

Recruit
I have searched everywhere on the internet for instruction on how to install the roll pin that holds the seal on the output shaft of a Johnson 5.5. I am beginning to realize why this motor was missing the seal in the first place. Can someone please help me out? I am using a brand new roll pin from OMC in NOS packaging.

kylehuffer

Recruit
Yes Sir,

The old pin was broken in half. I ordered a new one, but it will not fit. Is it not suppose to be difficult to press it in? I have tried using vice grips to compress the pin, and I have tried tapping it in gently with a small hammer.

Maybe they sent me the wrong pin? This is literally the last item on my list before I go to paint it seahorse green.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
If I recall that roll pin is designed to be a very tight fit. I think I used a pair of large pliers and a small nut on the other side of the drive shaft. The opening of the nut was to allow the pin to go right through and the metal of the nut was to allow a direct squeeze of the pliers on the roll pin. I can't remember if this got it all the way in. I also remember supporting the drive shaft on both sides of the pin and giving it a little hammer blow as well.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The pin actually is bigger than the hole, and has to squeeze shut as it goes in (slot along one side). Support the shaft and hammer or press it in. It will go.