1978 115 Evinrude tilt and trim wiring help

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys! repowering my 1987 Mako with a 78 115 Evinrude. I am wiring the tilt and trim and just wanted to know how to wire it. I think I have a good grasp but wanted to run what I think by everyone and also ask what the mysterious random two wire do. Here we go:

I have three wires from the controls and three from the pump. I have a blue wire on both ends and a green wire on both ends. I have a blak wire from my motor and a red wire from my control. I can assume that the green wires attach to each other at the solenoid and the blue wires attach to each other at the solenoid and the red supplies power and the black is the ground.

How am I doing so far?

Then, I have a separate wire harness that is coming out of the pump that has a black and gray wire (the mysterious wires), I assume these are for the T&T gauge?

Does this all sound correct? Does anyone have a diagram that they could lend me?

Mainly, I need help on wiring the solenoid so I dont blow the pump...dont want to replace that! YIKES!!!

thanks

Jason

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That factory trim system came with a remote electrical box which mounted under the splashwell of the boat. Do you have that factory box? (see the factory exploded parts diagrams: epc.brp.com) Inside the cover of that box, the factory glued a wiring diagram for the trim system. You've got a basic grasp of the electrical system. Keep in mind that the solenoid only controls the "up" movement of the trim motor. The down movement goes directly thru the trim switch. This system is also diagrammed in the trim section of the original factory service manual. (outboardbooks.com)

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't have the original box. I will try to find one. Thanks. If I cannot find the original box, will any solenoid work? Suggestions on a solenoid would be great! I was hoping to run up to a hardware store tonight.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't have the original box. I will try to find one. Thanks. If I cannot find the original box, will any solenoid work? Suggestions on a solenoid would be great! I was hoping to run up to a hardware store tonight.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought the proper solenoid. The trim works like a champ! Thanks everyone!