Motor difficult to start after running up on oyster reef

TxAquaman

Recruit
Hi, Guys. This is my first post here but I've been trolling the forum for a few months now. I'm hoping to get some ideas to track down a starting problem on my 1996 Johnson 88hp SPL. A couple of days ago I ran aground on an oyster reef at about 12-15 mph. No real damage to the boat beyond the expected oyster rash on the hull, but when I tried to start the motor back up after I shut it down it didn't want to start. I could hear a whine from under the cowling, but it wouldn't start until I fiddled with the throttle in and out of gear a few times. After I got home it started for flushing out the motor (again after putting it in and out of gear), but when I tried to start it immediately after I got nothing but the whine. I can't imagine how running up on the reef could have messed up the starting beyond possibly knocking something loose, but I'm not terribly familiar with outboard motors mechanically. Any help and suggestions at troubleshooting are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Trey

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't blame the oysters, it is their home. Seriously, I doubt the oysters had anything to do with it. The whine sounds to me like the starter is running too slow to engage the flywheel. Since it happened all of a sudden, it almost certainly has something to do with the battery or battery cables. Check battery and remove and shine up all cable connections.

kofkorn

Seaman Apprentice
When do you hear the whine sound, while turning the key (Starter), after letting the key go (again maybe starter)? Does the engine turn over? Does it fire and stall? I'm wondering if the starter loosened up and isn't engaging with the flywheel. Make sure the starter is nice and tight with no play.

If it isn't any of these things, can you go into a little more detail about the whine. What does it sound like, when does it happen, how long? etc.

Good luck!