1977 johnson 135 charging system help

matt4123

Cadet
So my battery kept going dead after a few starts. After i got it back on the trailer and to my house i started the diag process. Long story short i have only battery power across the battery terminals with the motor at all RPM ranges. I took a picture of what im dealing with. Basically the 2 wires that are coming from the stator (yellow and blue lines i drew on the image). they go to the block of connections and then they both go into that weird "wire sack" looking thing? does anybody know what that sack thing is? from there; it turns into a single wire coming out of the sack and back to the block of connections. where should i go from here for diagnosis? i unhooked the 2 wires from the stator and put my multimeter across the wires (getting 53 Volts AC). so i know i am atleast getting juice from the stator. Any help will be appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your engine stator has a battery-charging side to it. Those coils on the battery charging side produce battery charging voltage. It is routed through a small round rectifier close to that wiring terminal block. About the size of a stack of 7 quarters. If that rectifier goes bad, the engine won't pass charging voltage on to the battery. (It also won't pass a pluse count on to the tachometer on the dash) So if the tach acts up-it usually confirms that the rectifier is bad. It's not an expensive part and would be worth replacing-based on your voltage tests thus far. When functioning properly, the rectifier will recharge the battery, with increasing voltage. When running for perhaps 20 or 30 minutes, the battery voltage may show as much as 16+ volts. That's normal-and indicates the battery is recharging.