Evinrude 48esl lower unit install

wrench77

Cadet
My father has a 96 48esl. To make a long story short, we put in a water pump assembly. Had a bunch of trouble getting the lower unit back on. Finally got it but just barely will engage reverse. Tried adjusting on upper cable adjustment with no luck. Pulled lower unit back off and saw the little slots the shift fork is supposed to go into. Does anyone have a slick way of getting the shift forks into those slots???? It is VERY difficult!! Should it be in foreword or reverse??? Any help would be appreciated!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Are you talking about gettine the pin in the top of the shift rod?

wrench77

Cadet
The way I took it apart was at the top of the lower unit. Pulled the two bolts, loosened the water pump, pulled out the screw in the side, and left the whole shift shaft on the upper unit. Was that the wrong way? Is there a disconnect under the carbs somewhere? It looked like all that was sealed inside the case?

kofkorn

Seaman Apprentice
Ouch. Yeah, the shift rod is supposed to stay with the lower unit. You disconnect it up top, under the bottom carb. I've found it easier to remove the starter to get to the screw. You'll need to disconnect the rod and re-attach it to the lower unit. I've never taken the shift rod out because it is such a PITA to re-assemble. I'm not exactly sure of the steps to re-assemble the shift rod to the lower, but someone else should be able to help out. In the future, NEVER remove that little screw in the side of the lower unit unless you are disassembling.

Good luck!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Wow, impressive. I cant figure out how you had the room to do that but.....impressive.

So, now you're gonna need a manual. Just that simple. Take the lower back off. Remove shift rod pin from under the carb. Pull out shift rod. Get manual. Dissassemble lower unit. Reassemble as per manual.

Some times you can get lucky and get that whole thing in there and get the screw in the side of the case but it is tricky.

wrench77

Cadet
Oh man that was the biggest PITA ever!!!!! Ok at least I know the direction I need to go now. Will disassemble again and it will be much easier to feed that in on the bench!! Thank you for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!