Electric Start Install on my 30HP Johnson

ReedZ

Recruit
Hi All,
I have a 1986 30HP long shaft tiller model with rope start that I've been using now for a few years. This year I decided that I wanted to add electric start to it so my wife could start it and use it as well. My motor already had the proper flywheel on it, so I purchased a used kit locally which consisted of the wiring, the starter and mounting bracket, the solenoid and the start button. The install seemed easy and went pretty well. One of the things I didn't get with the kit was the neutral safety switch assembly which the directions told me I was to install at the same time. I guess my question is, do I really need this switch? If so, what should I be purchasing to add it to my motor. Is there a kit for it as well? I couldn't find one, but that's not to say there might not be one. I wouldn't mind also being able to charge the battery from the motor, but I don't believe my motor came with the rectifier or proper stator. How would I know for sure? Would this be pain to install if I don't already have the proper stator, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Compare your model number with the published parts list.
That should show whether you have a rectifier and or stator.
I'd doubt it.

ReedZ

Recruit
Will do What about the neutral safety switch. Do you guys think I really need one? I've never tried starting the motor in gear but with that said, there is a first time for everything.