'Unknown Year' Evinrude 115 - No Spark - PowerPack 4 wiring question

dcacklam

Cadet
Ok, I have no idea what year this thing is, other than 'pre VRO, crossflow'

No spark on all 4 cyls.

Motor has a CDI/distributorless ignition, 1 coil per cyl - the CDI had a *cover* on it for a 'Power Pack 3' but the sticker on the CDI itself says 'PP4'.

The wires sort-of match a Power Pack 4 layout (such as I've seen looking at PP4 units on Ebay). I didn't do any of this so far, so I am trying to check if everything is 'right' as a way of diagnosing the no-spark condition.

First: Are these wires (on the powerpack) right? -PHOTO OF CDI BOX-

Second: what is the numbering order of the screws supposed to be (starting with the top-left screw)?

Third, what else should I be looking at, to fix the no-spark situation?

More photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-RdpTUm3qYZcDluRkwzN1E2a2M
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-RdpTUm3qYZTTNjRndhYi0zVVU

Last edited:

dcacklam

Cadet
Update: I believe I've answered the wiring question (yes, they're screwed in right), and I found the CDI troubleshooting book on issuu... Still can't get spark...

New plugs, it's turning fast enough, and everything I *can* test from the CDI book (resistances - I don't have a DVA tool) seems good...

Any other things that 'should be working' or that I can test with a regular multimeter?

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
dcacklam, if that pack has a black and yellow striped wire try unhook it and see if you get spark .good luck :joyous:

dcacklam

Cadet
tibshur:

Tried that, no dice.

I am going to try and get my hands on a peak-hold multimeter & try and get some readings off the mag & trigger coils...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Likely a 73-77 vintage. Based on the type of power pack and color of the block. Johnson had a green paint in the 76 year. You will find some excellent ignition troubleshooting information at this website: cdielectronics.com There is a core plug on the top of the block, about the size of a quarter. It should have the serial and model number on it that matches the original factory serial plate on the transom bracket. See pic. The 75 serial core plug pictured is called a "gold" for 1975. It's close to the color of your engine's pic.

Last edited:

dcacklam

Cadet
I am only getting about 85V AC off the charge-wires, and upon further inspection there is black epoxy-like goop oozing from under the flywheel toward the carbs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Check out this ignition trouble-shooting website: cdielectronics.com. The charge wires you refer to may the stator ignition output side. CDI condemns the stator if it outputs anything less than 150 volts, as measured with a special "peak-reading" voltmeter. Check out page 35 of their online guide. For 1973-1977 single power pack engines. Sounds like your stator is bad. I'd follow the techniques illustrated in this CDI document, as the original factory service manual does not list cranking output voltage minimums-and that's a solid troubleshooting technique.

Last edited: