1983 15hp LOSS OF POWER

Snoopy698d

Cadet
I just replaced new fuel lines with a fuel pump, because the old pump and lines were original. She ran like a scaled chipmunk for about 30 min on the bayou, best she ever did. As I was coming back in she lost power, BIG TIME. As if I was in a low speed, I made it to the boat ramp, but I can't explain it. She just had some work done new carb, water pump and thermostat. The fuel pump was my idea. The best way I can describe it is that as I'm in forward and I give it gas on the tiller, it feels like it has a governor at low speed. any ideas?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test on it and see if it's running on both cylinders.

Snoopy698d

Cadet
I just tested the compression in both, both are good. The next step would be the cylinder drop test. would that just be the removal of spark plug wires to see if each cylinder runs? If not please describe for me. Regardless if a cylinder is not getting spark, I did test the spark wires, they are good. I am getting new spark plugs today, if that doesn't do the trick would it be the power pack?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Yes. Remove each plug wire when motor is running and see if you notice a difference.

Snoopy698d

Cadet
Just did bottom cylinder not operating. Now I suspect I need to locate the problem. Spark plug is new. So I guess I need to test wire, coil and power pack. Any tips on troubleshooting

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
If you can switch the coil clips and spark plug wires to the opposite cylinders and do the drop test again, you can at least confirm or eliminate the coil as being the problem. If the problem moves to the other cylinder you know it is the coil and if it stays on the same cylinder, it is something else.

Snoopy698d

Cadet
I'm a novice so bear with me. I'm not sure what a coil clip is. Is that just the spark wire clip? So should I just switch my spark wires around at the spark plug ends but not at the coil ends?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
To do the test I describe you would need to switch the coil at both ends. The spark plug and the part the inevitably connects to the flywheel.

Snoopy698d

Cadet
My head gasket is leaking, bad. It stems from the 2nd cylinder going out I guessThe ignition coil replacement did not fix the problem. The compression is still comprable, but not as high as I think it should be 90# on top and 89# on bottom. SO..closer inspection led me to see that the seam of head/block is leaking....bad. There was always oily residue around the motor, I now know why.
Q: is the head gasket replacement difficult for an eager to learn novice? Also, is there something to be looking for while I'm inside?