40hp Johnson wont throttle up to full?

jamesd5784

Cadet
I have a 1991 40hp Johnson and it has been running fine until my last outing when it wouldn't throttle up to full.. It would only rev up to around 2600 rpms and that was it, but when you put it in reverse it would go up to full throttle no problem. It also was having trouble idling which usually is not a problem. I am pretty novice with boat motors this is my first post on iboats..

Bosunsmate

Admiral
have you checked the timing linkages by the flyheel/carb are moving as far in forward as they do in reverse, they should go right to their full advance stops in fwd full throttle

Bosunsmate

Admiral
have you checked the timing linkages by the flyheel/carb are moving as far in forward as they do in reverse, they should go right to their full advance stops in fwd full throttle

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I assume the 2600 was in gear?

With the cowl removed, look for the throttle cam moving while someone advances the throttle forward. Does it have complete travel?

jamesd5784

Cadet
It looks like it has complete travel and has the same amount of movement that it has in reveres.