prop spinning on prop shaft prop bushing bad? cant find one E15rcde 198615hp

like the title the prop is spinning on the shaft i think the bushing is bad. would this also cause the the motor to wind down and die while in forward? because i was about a mile from the launch site and it wound down and died. i could start it again first pull in neutral and run the motor in reverse and it wouldn't die in either reverse or neutral position but when i put it in forward gear it wanted to die quickly. i finally waited a few minutes and it started back up and would run but only with very minimal throttle when i gave it full throttle it would make a sound like the prop shaft was spinning really fast but the propeller wasn't moving. i think that the prop bushing is bad but would that cause the motor to not want to run in forward gear? any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

Rick.

Captain
You can check the prop easily enough. Pull the prop and draw a line with a permanent marker from the bushing to the prop. Take the motor out till you think it's spinning again. Then pull the prop and see if the marks still line up. If they don't, prop is spun. I doubt a spun prop will cause your motor to die. If it isn't spun you may have internal gear problems. Best of luck. Rick.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If it is a 86 it has a spline drive the shaft has splines on it and the prop has splines that mesh with the shaft.
If the prop spins in gear then either something is missing ,the hub in the prop or the shaft is spinning and something more dire is going on in the gear case.

i pulled apart the gear case and i can only find one of those balls that hold the clutch dog in place i think that may be the problem besides the prop the hub is spinning and they dont sellthose i think i have to buy a new prop