Johnson 67 3 hp - lack of water spray out of exhaust ports

tvag06

Cadet
OK during my exhultation of getting this motor to run, my exhuberance was cut short when I noticed water bubbling/boiling out of the top of my exhaust cover on the engine block (slight trickle but constant). I then moved my attention to the exhaust ports and noticed only exhaust coming from them, no water. Not a drop, not a trickle and certainly not a spray. I've searched the site and found posts about water tests you can do to diagnose a blockage but hoping someone can direct me to something that has the details and or pics of the process including cleaning tools / agents and tips.

FYI
Service done so far:
carb cleaning and kit installed - gas tank has little rust but all sediment removed and inline filter installed, new hose as well
new head gasket - water jacket was fairly clean only little sediment/corrosion removed (no blockage)
new exhaust gasket - after i saw water bubbling out I tightened the screws a bit more but have not retested (still doesn't explain lack of water from exhaust ports)
new drive pin
new starter spring

Engine being tested in large barrel, water up to lowest of exhaust holes.

Thanks guys... I know this has come up before and I appreciate you patience.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Most important question: Is it cooling, or is it overheating? Certainly, it is supposed to spray droplets of water out the relief holes, but actually that I sort of a haphazard thing. For assurance, you should first check the water pump, though it seems like it is at least trying to work, as evidenced by the presence of water at the leak. The water may not be getting any further than that, though. There is a rather small hole it has to go through between the exhaust cover and cylinder water jacket. That may be plugged...especially if it is overheating. There sometimes is a problem of plugging where the water exits the powerhead into the exhaust housing. You will have to pull the powerhead if that is the case. Not hard to do though.

tvag06

Cadet
Thanks. Your right I should see if it is cooling. What do I do? Just touch the head under/around the spark plugs? if I can hold my finger there for a while it's doing ok? That's what I've gleaned from what I've read anyhow. Other suggestions for checking for cooling?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Certain areas will get very hot. The flat exhaust cover plate. The cylinder head right around the spark plugs. But you should be able to touch the cylinder block for a few seconds without undue comfort.

tvag06

Cadet
So don't leave any skin... got it.

I'm bringing this engine fishing this weekend. Small pond so it won't get over worked but I'll be mindful to hand check the engine temp regularly for signs of overheating. It'll be nice not to row... been rowing for 30 years. What a luxury to have a near 50 year old motor. :joyous:

Last edited:

tvag06

Cadet
Update: Ran the motor under various conditions over the weekend. The head and even midsection would get hot to the touch when running for over 20 min at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and exhaust ports shooting out liquid hot magma water. The engine seems to overheat when at full throttle for over 5 - 10 min (normal? - sorry I'm such a noob). But does not overheat when at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle for extended periods of time. Eventually the engine stopped functioning which I attribute to rust and particulate that I was unable to remove from the tank. I've since cleaned my carb again and an installed an inline fuel filter.

Questions: Can / do these engines overheat at full throttle? I ran water through the copper pipe in the midsection and it came out of the engine block from another cavity. The impeller was in great shape no deterioration, clean cavity. Other suggestions? Did I miss anything regarding cooling? I pulled the head gasket and the channel around the cylinders was clear of crude as well.

Thanks guys. This motor helped me get 3.7 and a 3.3 lbs bass this weekend.