Evinrude V-4 120 Looper-need help identifying.

Flyingguytoo

Recruit
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I have as only the number stamped on the welch plug between the cyl. banks is available. I was told it is an early 1990's. by the former owner. The number is G3582972. The local dealer said he could not help me. Having lots of problems with electrical (eating regulators and then eventually the power packs). Perhaps with the correct info I can get correct parts. Thanks

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Before you throw MORE parts at it, troubleshoot properly and find the root cause of these failures.
Once someone nails down the year, get an OEM service manual. It will pay for itself in no time.

Flyingguytoo

Recruit
Thanks, and you are absolutely right. I believe the motor is an early 90's and have an OEM manual for those years, but if it is an earlier block I was concerned that I might be on the wrong track. Two dealers have replaced packs, ect. .and checked motor but longevity problems continued. Will trace all wiring next. The forums sure are a great help for novice outboard wanna-be mechanics like myself.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I tyhink I've seen some threads in here where [people have called BRP with the number off the frost plug and they were able to help.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I remember having a similar or maybe the same motor in the shop that had had three rectifiers in one season by other shops. I believe I solved it with new battery cables as the ground had high resistance. At least I never heard back from that customer so assuming it was fixed. Just saying...

Flyingguytoo

Recruit
To Tim Frank: Thank you, BRP was able to identify my motor. To reach them call Evinrude/Johnson customer service at 262-884-5993 and select #2. Their lead in states that they are providing technical assistance for 1997 and newer only, but they still provide identification services for antique motors, etc. Mine was actually newer than I thought.

To Jake: Thank you for the tip, I checked my both my cables with my ohmmeter and got perfect readings for both. I was not able to flex the cables to check for internal resistance as my ohmmeter broke part way through the test. Found a great site to buy one along with a DVA adapter from the forums. Thanks again to both of you!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
There is a poster on here that seems to be able to look up those serial #'s. If he doesn't see this soon I'll have my parts manager give it a try.