2 or 3 blade prop for Evinrude 4hp??

runabout2014

Recruit
I bought a little 12ft aluminum car topper from my father in-law for me and my little fella to play around in and teach him to fish. Father in-law through in a 1972 Evinrude 4hp that he got from a guy because it didn't run and he didn't have time to mess with it. I finally got some time recently to mess around with it and after a couple of hours of tinkering and undoing many years of less than mechanical peoples attempts to fix it, I got it running and the little gem runs like a champ. Really nice little motor. It's the weedless version with the angled drive and it has a 2 blade prop on it. I was on ebay just looking to see what kind of parts were still available for these and noticed quite a few 3 blade props that claim to be for the 4 hp. Anyone know if a 3 blade on this motor would work better than the two blade or should I just stick with what I've got?

Rick.

Captain
I have a 71 and run a three bade on it. I doubt it two or three would make any noticeable difference. Best of luck. Rick.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I bought a little 12ft aluminum car topper from my father in-law for me and my little fella to play around in and teach him to fish.

The two blade will do that just fine.
If you are looking for a step up in speed, buy an 8hp.:)

Last edited:

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Depends on weed bottom or rock , If u need stern lift as always loaded in back , speed or pulling/lugging . I have a couple late 40's Johnson seahorses that I use in lakes and rivers with the two blade weed less props not angled like the little ones which by design lifts from prop shaft angle I also use a mid 80's 4.5 Johnson seahorse that has the 3 blade prop on the same 12' john boat and is a back up trolling motor that can push a 196 CC with no problem . So what im getting at is it depends what your set up is and purpose use of boat , Two blade weedles screwtype less likely to shear pin .tangle w/weeds and take bottom damage better than 3 blade as have proved over and over to myself . Neighbor offered me one of those little ones and I have to take him up on it .
Looked up an discovered its not the ones that shaft /gear lower case is not angled . I'll have to ask why they were built that way for shure but will soon have one to try. might have to get a square back canoe

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The 4hp (weedless) came from the factory with a 3 blade 6-3/8 x 5-1/2 prop. Somebody has probably swapped props on yours, putting a 3hp prop on it. I'd be concerned about over-revving on your little car-topper. But as the saying goes, "it depends".

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
I was looking up the specs for the old 3 & 4 horse motors, weedless vs. high thrust. It looks like the weedless used 2 blade props through 1968, then switched to the 3-blade for 1969 (the year the 3 went to 4 horses). The high thrust right angle drive was introduced for 1964 (the same year they switched from dual to single transom clamps) and used a 3-blade prop. The high thrust drive was revised for 1973 models but the weedless design continued until around 1982.