1996 Evinrude 115 - just turns and turns

jhnnymack1

Cadet
I just bought a 1996 OMC Sunbird with an Evinrude 115. The engine hasn't been started in 2 years. It only has about 20 hrs on it. I've changed all the fluids and the plugs. When I try and start it it just keeps turning and turning and doesn't start. I've tried holding the key in for an 8 count and then tried starting and the same thing happens. I am at a loss as to why it won't kick over. The only thing I can come up with is that the way I have it on blocks the engine cannot be fully tilted in the down position it is almost straight up and down but not quite. Is there possibly a Mercury switch or something like it that would prevent the engine from starting????<br /><br />Any input on this engine would be greatly appreciated. I bought the boat for my 14yr old son and he is excited to get it running.<br /><br />Thanks so much,<br /><br />John

D

DJ

Re: 1996 Evinrude 115 - just turns and turns

John,<br /><br />You are missing one of three components:<br /><br />1. Spark.<br /><br />2. Fuel.<br /><br />3. Compression.<br /><br />Take a good look at every connection under the hood. There is one or more that have an in-line fuse in them. Check those. No spark with the blown fuse.

jhnnymack1

Cadet

Thanks so much Djohns, I never thought of that. Wow I think this board is so cool... thanks for your input I'm sure it will help!!

jhnnymack1

Cadet

Thanks Specks, I know fuel is getting in but not so sure about the spark, gonna have to check that tomorrow... you guys are great thanks for the advice!!

D

DJ

John,<br /><br />Just thought of something!!!<br /> :eek: :eek: <br /><br />That engine has a kill switch.<br />Are you sure the engine kill lanyard is on the control box or dash??????

jhnnymack1

Cadet

Djohns, The kill switch is on the dash. it has the attachment connected to it