Is there a such thing as a "Diesel" Outboard

I am a diesel freak, every truck i have is a diesel, my wife drives a diesel excursion, i was wondering if there is a diesel outboard engine such as a 50 horse evinrude diesel direct injection.<br /><br />i dont think so <br /><br />but.....<br /><br />MIKE

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Is there a such thing as a "Diesel" Outboard

Yup... Yanmar makes deisel outboards (a 27HP that I know of) and there are a couple others..

alcan

Commander

Hi Cropduster<br />Yes there are diesel outboards. I have never seen one myself and know nothing about them. Do a search on this board there have been some interesting threads written about them.

KIWI MERCMAN

Seaman

CropdusterPilot<br />Snapperbait is right, Yanmar make a 27 and a 36hp, they weigh a ton and cost a fortune. There is a dealer in Tahiti with a whole BIG shed full of them, They used to work.<br /><br />Kiwi

Bgeo1224

Recruit

Check out this webbsite called HOWSTUFFWORKS.com then do a word search (diesel engines) it will give you lots of info. what a great site!!!!! Bruce

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Carniti, an Italian company used to make diesel outboards and may still be making them. Saw them at a shown in Chicago over 20 years ago.

CKJR

Seaman Apprentice

they do exist-when i visited one of the caribbean islands several years ago, the pontoon boat we had for a tour had 2 diesel outboards. they were noisy, ran relately rough and smoked a bunch.