disconnecting VRO on 1985 50HP Johnson

fishon99

Recruit
I have a 1985 50 HP Johnson outboard and would like to disconnect the VRO and go to mixing the oil and gas 50:1. I have read a number of posts about it is better to do this than to have the pump go out and burn up the motor. I have done a search and have not come up with the information I need. Can anyone tell me what has to be disconnected (wiring and VRO tank) to get this done.<br /><br />Thank you and have a great day.

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: disconnecting VRO on 1985 50HP Johnson

Simply remove the VRO components and install a non-oil injection pump. About $50 bucks worth.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Fish ... you can search the BB for the topic and find a lot of info already discussed. Here's one threads worth ...<br /><br />Helpful Links: Outboard Motors | Powerheads / Lower Units | Manuals | Props | Parts | Register | Search Forums<br /> <br /><br />   <br />my profile | REGISTER | SEARCH | faq | forum home <br />    <br />» Hello, spete [ log out ] iboats Boating Forums   » General   » Outboard Engine Troubles & Questions   » VRO pump replacement <br />    <br />Author Topic: VRO pump replacement <br />Wipper <br />Captain <br />Member # 5382 <br /> posted December 13, 2001 08:41 AM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I have seen several threads about VRO pump problems. Being that my engine (1990 60HP Evinrude)is now 12 years old and I bought it used I am considering switching to premix. My Dad has a 70 HP Yammy that had to have the powerhead replaced because of oil pump problems (ouch). I was told that I can put a conventional three port fuel pump on it but when I contacted my local dealer he didn't know what I was talking about and gave me the number for a VRO/fuel pump kit (438406). Is the three port fuel pump a viable solution and if so what is the part number. Do I need to do any other mods to make this change.<br />Thanks <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 169 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />JB <br />Ancient Mariner <br />Member # 1031 <br /> posted December 13, 2001 10:14 AM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Ahoy, Wipper.<br /><br />You don't have to replace the VRO pump to switch to premix. I assume that what you are calling a 3 port pump is the pump for premix used on earlier (pre-VRO) engines.<br /><br />Disconnect and plug the oil inlet to the pump. Then disconnect whatever sensors are associated with the VRO (it differs from year to year). Then you should be okay.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB <br />--------------------<br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB<br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 4838 | From: The Hideout, Whitt, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />Wipper <br />Captain <br />Member # 5382 <br /> posted December 13, 2001 10:56 AM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Thanks J.B.<br />I have seen the other threads that relate to just what you suggest but when I was told about this three line fuel pump it kinda threw me off a bit. <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 169 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />Mike M2 <br />Captain <br />Member # 4948 <br /> posted December 13, 2001 05:25 PM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />On the side of the pump will be 2 wires with bullet connectors. You can just unplug them to disconnect your warning buzzer, any other way will make it not work for overheat. Then just disconnect and plug oil inlet like JB said. Thats all thats to it. I have removed the pump and replaced with old style(pre VRO) pumps. A pump from mid 70's will work from about the same engine size. They are kinda universal, i use one to check if vro pumps are working. Hoses hook up just as you stated, in, out, vacuum to run it with.<br />--------------------<br />GOD BLESS THE U.S.!!!<br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 102 | From: Maryland | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />Wipper <br />Captain <br />Member # 5382 <br /> posted December 13, 2001 09:01 PM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I'll check that out <br />Thanks Mike,,JB <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 169 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />mrmerc <br />Captain <br />Member # 5376 <br /> posted December 13, 2001 10:39 PM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Switching to premix is a great idea. All of the VRO engines are arebuild waiting to happen. Putting an old style fuel pump on is kind of nice since it cleans up a lot of the plumbing under the cowling, but just disconnecting the oil injection is easy and inexpensive. There is a check for the VRO pump to see whether it has developed the internal leak that leads to lack of oil in the engine. It is relatively simple to do but really for all the trouble mixing fuel is why take the risk. <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 219 | From: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />Wipper <br />Captain <br />Member # 5382 <br /> posted December 14, 2001 06:59 AM                <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Hey mrmerc <br />Where is your shop up there in Peterborough. I have a trailer on Pigeon Lake in Bobcaygeon not far from you. I'll drop over if I need some parts. <br />------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 169 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged <br />All times are EST (US)   <br />           <br /> Printer-friendly view of this topic <br />Hop To: Go <br /><br />Contact Us | iboats Home Page <br /><br />Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.2.1.1 <br /><br />Click here to register! <br /><br /> <br />Repair<br />Manuals Outboard<br />Motors Power<br />Heads Lower<br />Units Boat<br />Propellers Trolling<br />Motors Boat<br />Covers <br /><br />E-Mail this page to a friend<br /><br />Home | Directory | Trolling Motors | Boats | Boat Loans | Outboard Motors | Boat Dealers <br />Used Boat Prices | Fishing Boats | Sail Boats | GPS | Boat Manufacturers | Marine Electronics <br />Fishing Charters | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Practices | Legal Notices | Boat Parts <br />Disclaimer: iboats.com provides the message boards for the education and benefit of all boating enthusiasts. iboats does not take responsibility for individual postings, nor can we verify the accuracy of postings. Please use any information provided in our boards with great care and at your own risk. If you determine that a posting is inaccurate or offensive in any manner, please send us an email.<br /><br />Copyright © 2002 iboats, inc. All rights reserved. 1-800-869-1686

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Fishon.....(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)<br /><br />You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:<br /><br />1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.<br /><br />2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.<br /><br />3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.<br /><br />That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Fishon99,<br />The post below(Joe Reeves) is the one that you will want to follow. I have a '91 Rude and it worked for me. The only thing I did different was to remove the oil line at the motor and capped the nipple with a small rubber cap and clamp. When you follow the wires into the engine compartment, you will see a black rubber plug at the end. Unplug this and tape it up. Check your warning horn as suggested below and your set to go.<br />--------------------------------------------------<br /><br />You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:<br /><br />1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.<br /><br />2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.<br /><br />3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.<br /><br />That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

fishon99

Recruit

Thanks everyone. When the weather warms up I will get this done.