lower unit removal johnson 90 hp '89

brad78

Recruit
I am throughly confused, I have an 89 90 hp tracker series johnson outboard. I need to know how to remove the lower unit, I have read about the four bolts on the LU and the hair pin under the carbs but fail to see how removing that pin will disengage the linkage. someone please explain this to me and more impotantly how to put it all back together.

ob

Admiral
Re: lower unit removal johnson 90 hp '89

Brad , it is necessary to remove that pin from the shift rod simply because it attaches it to the shift arm and the rod will slide down with the lower unit.This is what transfers the mechanical movement of the shift lever to the shift fork in the gearcase.Also don't forget to remove trim tab bolt and the one under it.Installation will be the reverse of removal procedure + a few choice words.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The gear case has 7 bolts, counting the trim tab bolt, which you have to remove to get at a bolt under the trim tab. The shaft with the hitch pin is a shaft within a shaft with a split lever at end, when you remove the hitch pin, push inward on the inner shaft, one half of the lever moves outward and allows the shift lever to be removed from the pin.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Gearcase close and above prop, looks like small rudder.