1992 40hp Johnson: When you start it, it will rev up high and die.

Our engine is having some trouble, we have diagnosed it to be the fuel pump, but that isn't a forsure, perhaps u could offer advise on how to fix it or other possible reasons why it would be doing this.<br />When you start up the engine it rev's extreamly high and then dies. When we start the engine and I pump on the bulb it will continue to run but not very well. If you could tell us how to repare the fuel pump where to find it, and how to get at the carbarator that would be most helpfull. Also where we could buy a fuel pump for this engine. I saw a fuel pump here but i'm not sure that that would fit onto our engine. <br /><br />Whatever help you can offer would be welcome!<br />Thanks<br />Ben

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 40hp Johnson: When you start it, it will rev up high and die.

Howdy.<br /><br />I think you are on the right track.<br /><br />Pump your primer bulb and see if that will keep it running. If so it is probably a bad fuel pump. Overhaul the pump, there is no need to buy a new one.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1992 40hp Johnson: When you start it, it will rev up high and die.

Sounds like your float is stuck. You can force fuel in it but then runs out. Get a rebuild kit and replace your needle valve, seat and float. Float is set correctly when it is level with your carb when it is turned upside down.