Battery Post Melting!

cucuman

Cadet
I have a 76' 85hp johnson motor that has been sitting up for 2 years in a shed. Ran perfect last use and ran it out of gas before storing. Tried to run motor and while cranking, the positive cable hooked up to the battery melted the lead post of the battery. What in the heck would cause this? Is there anything that I should do to the motor since it sat for so long? All wiring looks good and motor only had dust on the outside. Very clean on inside.

sloopy

Commander
Re: Battery Post Melting!

what type of battery and how were they hooked up!?

sloopy

Commander

what type of battery and how were they hooked up!?

cucuman

Cadet

Sorry! The battery is a deep cycle Everstart. It is a brand new battery that I took off of my 40hp motor. It was hooked up red from startor to + and black from ground to -.

KCLOST

Commander

Did the motor ever turn over? If it did turn over did it sound like it was under strain?<br /><br />Just askin....

cucuman

Cadet

Yes, at first it was slow at turning, then after about 4 turns, it took off turning normal but never fired up. I tried to crank it for about 15 sec, then let it rest for 2 min. after the fourth attempt at this, thats when the cable came loose off the battery and noticed the bolt from the battery post was still on the cable and the lead had melted off the battery causing the bolt to come out.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Loose connection or high resistance connection causes heat with a high load (Starter draws a ton of amps).

cucuman

Cadet

Thanks! I checked my cables and was bending them when I heard cracking. Cutting them in half, I noticed the copper was green. I will begin by buying new cables for her. What size should and how long should these cables be? I have some 4-awg pvc coated cable rated for 600 volts. Is this sufficient enough to handle the current drawn from the starter?

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 AWG will be fine for you.

Trent

Captain

Deep cycle?? You need a starting battery for the engine.