Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery Post Melting!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Battery Post Melting!

    I have a 76' 85hp johnson motor that has been sitting up for 2 years in a shed. Ran perfect last use and ran it out of gas before storing. Tried to run motor and while cranking, the positive cable hooked up to the battery melted the lead post of the battery. What in the heck would cause this? Is there anything that I should do to the motor since it sat for so long? All wiring looks good and motor only had dust on the outside. Very clean on inside.

  • #2
    Re: Battery Post Melting!

    what type of battery and how were they hooked up!?
    "Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie” –Cookie Monster

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Battery Post Melting!

      what type of battery and how were they hooked up!?
      "Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie” –Cookie Monster

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Battery Post Melting!

        Sorry! The battery is a deep cycle Everstart. It is a brand new battery that I took off of my 40hp motor. It was hooked up red from startor to + and black from ground to -.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Battery Post Melting!

          Did the motor ever turn over? If it did turn over did it sound like it was under strain?Just askin....

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Battery Post Melting!

            Yes, at first it was slow at turning, then after about 4 turns, it took off turning normal but never fired up. I tried to crank it for about 15 sec, then let it rest for 2 min. after the fourth attempt at this, thats when the cable came loose off the battery and noticed the bolt from the battery post was still on the cable and the lead had melted off the battery causing the bolt to come out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Battery Post Melting!

              Loose connection or high resistance connection causes heat with a high load (Starter draws a ton of amps).
              Jim

              ===============================
              I don't respond to Private Messages PM's that are motor questions.

              For basic information on a wide range of topics, see Top Secret File
              Link: https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

              OEM shop manual: outboardbooks.com or Ebay

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Battery Post Melting!

                Thanks! I checked my cables and was bending them when I heard cracking. Cutting them in half, I noticed the copper was green. I will begin by buying new cables for her. What size should and how long should these cables be? I have some 4-awg pvc coated cable rated for 600 volts. Is this sufficient enough to handle the current drawn from the starter?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Battery Post Melting!

                  4 AWG will be fine for you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sign up today
                    Re: Battery Post Melting!

                    Deep cycle?? You need a starting battery for the engine.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X