tilt/trim wont work

emtmedic

Recruit
I have a 70hp Evinrude motor that the tilt and trim will not work, from the motor or the controls. The motor wont turn over. The battery is fully charged and the connections are good. It was working and then just stopped all of the sudden. I have checked all the connections and fuses. I was trying to raise it up to put a new transom saver on it. Any ideas ? :( :(

Deuce22

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tilt/trim wont work

medic,<br />Have you checked the hydrolic fluid in the pistons? It could be low and your not getting any hydrolic pressure.Does it make any sound when you hit the trim switch? I not it could be the electrical wiring. Check the fuses first.<br /><br />Deuce

emtmedic

Recruit

There is no noise or nothing, no power, motor wont even turn over. I have checked the fuses.

kart33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need to put a meter on the wires going to the motor and see if you have power. If you do have power the motor might be a gonner. If there is not power you need to check power to the switch and so on back to the battery connection. With a boat a $10. cheapie meter is one of the most needed tools out there. According to the book if the motor is getting electricity and is not turning you need to remove it from the boat and see if it will turn then the cause may be the hydraulic pump it drives. Good luck!

emtmedic

Recruit

There is power to the motor. All of the fuses are intact. The tilt and trim will not work from the motor or the controls on the throttle. The engine will not even turn over. When you turn the key on, none of the guages move. If you try to start the boat. it won't even try to start. It is if it has no power. I have checked all of the connections to and from the battery

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't happen to have a disconnect switch on the battery...do you? Very strange, but I sure is obvious...but not to me. Let us know what the problem was. :p

emtmedic

Recruit

No battery disconnect...I finally gave up and took it to the boat shop. The gut said, its a 5 minute fix, Well guess what, it wasn't a 5 minute fix and I had to leave it with them. I not sure about boat motors, but I am not sure that this isn't a solenoid problem or key switch. I really don't know ??????????? :confused: :confused:

jratcliff587

Recruit

I had a simular problem and found that the wiring on the brushes had burned loose. It was strange because sometimes you could push the button and the motor would run but if you let the button go that was the end of that. Anyway it took a lot of rework to get it fixed. Hopefully yours will be different. JR

icatcher

Cadet

I had much the same problem this spring. Used my boat a couple of times and everything worked fine. Came out to leave for the lake one morning and tried to raise the motor - nothing! Tried to turn motor over - nothing. :confused: <br /><br />Turned out I had a dead cell in my starting battery - changed battery for $85cdn - good to go!! :)

emtmedic

Recruit

Well I just came back from the boat shop and had to put a $200 starter on it. That was problem #1.<br />The wiring harness somehow is messed up and it still doesn't work. So now we have to order a wiring harness. Now I know why I have never owned a boat.I finally get one and have nothing but problems. I may get it fixed and just sell it.