Just bought used boat and motor stopped working...

jersey dog

Recruit
Hi, I just bought a used boat with a Evinrude 9.9 on it.<br />I have two problems if anyone can help.<br />1. Is there anyway to find out the year of this motor with no serial number?<br />2. Just took the boat out for the first time the other day the motor ran great for the<br /> first five minutes then stalled. I was not albe to get it started again.<br />Never thought to change the gas and ran it with gas that was two years old. I have pulled out and<br />replaced spark plugs, still doesn't start. So pulled the plugs out again and stray a little gas into<br />each cylinder. Nothing. I don't know if I gunked up the carburetor or the fuel pump because I <br />don't think I am getting any fuel.<br />If you have any suggestions that would be great.<br />Also does anyone know of a diagram online on how to take apaart the carburetor.<br />Thanks<br />Jay

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just bought used boat and motor stopped working...

Time to take the carb off and clean it out...<br />(2 year old gas bad move)

ehenry

Commander

Instead of squirting the premix directly into the cylinder, squirt it in throat of the carburator. This will let it mix somewhat with intake air. If it fires you know your carb needs cleaning. If not I'd start checking fire.

cjkerns

Cadet

i had the same thing happen to my used evinrude. except i started with fresh gas and plugs.ran fine to start with then stalled in the waterway and wouldn't crank. had to get towed back. took it back where i bought it and they said it had blown a head gasket. they repaired it at their cost and it ran like new the next time out. can be checked by compression meter for this but you should ask a captain on how to set your motor up to get a true compression reading. hope it helps but i'm only 1st mate so take it just as my personal experience.