Info on a 69' Johnson Electromatic 40 hp

Stiggy

Recruit
Please excuse me for being so boat motor stupid as I am. my questions are.<br /><br />I have a 1969 Glasstron with a 40 hp Johnson "Electromatic" on it. <br /><br /> 1) Does Electromatic mean, the transmision is engaged electronicaly ??<br /><br /> 2) If this is the case, does this mean that to shift the motor into the neutral setting it must have battery power or motor running ??<br /><br /> 3) Whats with the pullstart on it ? do you still need battery power to start with this pullstart ????<br /><br /> any info you-all can provide an idiot like me would greatly be appreciated . :D <br /><br />thanks Stiggy

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Info on a 69' Johnson Electromatic 40 hp

Stiggy..... Electramatic was a term that OMC used to identify their first manufacturing of a electric shift lower unit. This is not the same as the "Hydro Electric Shift" that OMC came out with in 1968 in their 55hp engine. The electramitic shifting system is as follows:<br /><br />Neutral - Default, no voltage applied.<br /><br />Forward - 12v applied to green wire leading to lower unit.<br /><br />Reverse - 12v applied to blue wire leading to lower unit.<br /><br />You must use what is called "Premium Blend" lube in the electramatic shift engines (lower unit). This lube is also refered to as "Type C". You can not use HiVis lube that is used in the standard shift models.