Power Trim/Tilt Installation Wiring Issues

Rocky Larsen

Cadet
Hi There,

I recently got a second hand 1985 outboard Evinrude motor with power trim. When purchased it did not have the relays or wiring completed on the power trim. Now that I have bought all the parts and wiring, I have attempted to do it myself.

I have followed the wiring diagram I found online which can be found at the link attached.

I have connected the positive cables from ports 87 on the relays to my kill switch which is also fused with a 40amp fuse box. I also have the red wire from the trim switch connected to the positive connection of my kill switch.

I have the ground ports and also the black wire on the power trim connected to the negative terminal on my kill switch.

Every time I click UP or Down on my trim switch I blow a fuse. I have tried to hard wire the positive wires by removing the fuse box and the relays start smoking when I click up or down. The trim does move however... Obviously I am getting too much juice somehow and the wiring is wrong.

Could you shed some light as to why or where I have gone wrong?

Cheers,

Rocky

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Kill switch has nothing to do with power trim tilt.---How many wires on the tilt motor is it 2 or 3 wires ?

Rocky Larsen

Cadet
The tilt motor has 3 wires. Blue, Red and Black. I have read that there is supposed to be a Green wire but Red replaces the "down" wire on my trim.

Sorry I didn't mean my kill switch, I have connected the positive and grounds to the battery switch. I have also tried to hard wire directly to the battery instead and still no luck.

Rocky Larsen

Cadet
Ok I have read up on it more and realised that I have been trying to install my 3 wire trim/tilt with the 2 relays. I have been told that this only applies to a 2 wire power trim.

I am picking up a solenoid today and installing it based on a 3 wire power trim configuration, lets hope it works.