1990 Evinrude VRO 70 hp cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil B

Recruit
My 1990 Evinrude VRO 70 hp dies completely.<br />sometimes it will run for hour, but if i give it a short rest it will cit out completely when I power up. No warning horns, oil getting through. it is almost like a complete fuel starvation, but pumping bulb does nothing. Any ideas

htallison

Cadet
Re: 1990 Evinrude VRO 70 hp cuts out

I looked at your post with interest, as I have the same engine (see post on temp sensor failure posting futher down in this list)<br /><br />Though I am no mechanic, Sounds like a vapor lock in the fuel line to me. We used to have a similar propblem with an old OMC inboard we owned.<br /><br />Maybe this will get you back to the top of the list and some qualified mechanics can comment. Best of Luck!

Phil B

Recruit

I have thought about this. Is the bulb supposed to be soft or hard when running. On this engine it goes soft and is easy to pump when running. <br /><br />What can cause this vapour lock then. There is no breather on the tank and I presume it vents automatically. If you take the tank lid off there is pressure. Also if you take a plug out when it quits it is dry. Does this rule out spark failure.<br /><br />Thanks

Phil B

Recruit

Another problem is the warning horn works, but is very quiet. Is this an easy thing to fix ??? :confused:

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Regarding the quiet warning horn...mine was installed inside one of the rod lockers at the factory. I cut out a hole and mounted the horn right next to me. Very loud now.

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is your gas tank vented bulb should be hard when running fuel filters rarely a problem maybe some debis in fuel line or carbuerators

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There should be no pressure in the tank when you remove the cap. Check the vent. Is it a portabe or built in tank? What octane fuel?<br /><br />Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is not good, Phil. You have the same problem running on two different threads under two different user names. You have us working against each other.<br /><br />You have a hot short in your ignition system.<br />When you "give it a rest" temperature peaks before it begins to cool. Since all cylinders quit firing it is almost certainly your power pack.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good catch JB. <br /><br />Thanks.

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB Sorry about the two names, not quite got the hang of this.<br /><br />without sounding a complete idiot, what's<br />the powerpack ??<br /><br />Thanks :confused:

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dhadley<br /><br />Portable tank and running on +90 ron unleaded. No vent screw on top of tank. <br /><br />Thanks

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah !!! A friend has just told me "powerpack" would be the "battery " in England.<br /><br />Should I give up and go and buy the dress ????

JB

No need for a dress. . .yet, Phil. The powerpack is the module in your ignition system that sends medium voltage pulses to the coils that fire the spark plugs. It is not repairable and correct testing requires special equipment. You can test it this way:<br /><br />Take the bonnet off and fire your engine up on a hose feed. Use a hair dryer to heat the various parts of the ignition until the engine quits. The last part you heated has the hot short. Replace it. This may not work, but it is worth a try.<br /><br />OR<br /><br />Borrow a powerpack and replace yours for testing purposes. Problem gone? buy the powerpack.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what happens.<br /><br />Red sky at night...<br />JB :)

Grant Ingle

Seaman Apprentice

Phil,<br />Jb probably has the right of this in your case. Also you may have more than one problem. If the fuel bulb goes extremely soft and the plugs are dry after the motor quits you could have a bad fuel line from the tank to the motor or a bad internal line which is drawing air instead of fuel. Thoroughly inspect the fuel lines for age cracks or loose connections at the VRO. I have also seen a pulse limiter valve gum up and restrict the amount of vacuum that the VRO has to work with. Good luck. Post your results.<br /> ;)

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay boys<br /><br />I checkked the fuel lines. Everything seems ok, so I snuck upstairs and stole the wife's hairdryer. Hose pie onto the engine and started her up. No Problem. Runs great on the drive. I heated about every bit of engine I could. The neighbours are all staring at me by now, when in the back of my head I could hear JB chuckling " He's doing it, the fat english fool is standing , heating an Evinrude with a hairdryer !!!" when the **** thing quit on me.<br /><br />Unfortunately the hairdryer, not the Evinrude!!!!<br /><br />Tripped the power again and blow dryed my motor. Long and short of it there is a black sealed box with wires on that seems to distribite to the plugs. Heat this up, engine stops. Is this the power pack ??

JB

Bullseye, Philby!! It is as I suspected. Replace the powerpack (not cheap, but no option) and you should be back in business.<br /><br />Cancel the order for the dress, "you done good".<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would like to here what the neighbours were thinking.

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clanton<br /><br />Nighbours were ok yesterday, but, not that I doubted JB, I have just repeated the process "to make sure "<br /><br />Neighbour say's "That sounds rough !!" I sais " Sorry about the noise, I'll turn it off " at which point it cut out again. I can see him looking at the hairdryer in my hand thinking "How did he do that!!!"<br /><br />Sorry for doubting you JB, but in England we don't spend money unless is's absolutely necessary, ...and then we wait a while longer :D

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cost for Powerpack in England £130<br /><br />I suppose about $180<br /><br />How does this compare ?

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still having trouble with this.<br /><br />Can't get a new powerpack for quite a while, but my local guy says they either go or they don't.<br /><br />Can I get an intermittant faullt on the powerpack ?<br /><br />I got it to fail again using the hairdryer, then disconected the black and yellow on the powerpack and it started straight up. <br /><br />Now I couldn't stop it for love or money.<br /><br />Any suggestions ??<br /><br />Next, does anybody know if this engine would have quickstart ??<br /><br />Is that a function in the powerpack ??

Status
Not open for further replies.