1973 Evinrude 65hp, dies out at low speed

jets

Cadet
With new plugs in and four tanks of new gas run through, it will still die out at low speed. Also does not have a lot of power when it takes off. I have the idle speed set up so that it will not die when you put it into gear. Will not run in reverse, will die. Once it goes it runs great. A friend checked the plugs and found some water. He suggested a head gasket. Any other ideas??? Thanks for your help.

jets

Cadet
Re: 1973 Evinrude 65hp, dies out at low speed

Forgot to tell you that the compression is good.<br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Clean your carbs, with special attention to the low speed jets, jets. (Hee hee!!)<br /><br />What happens if you pump your primer bulb when this is happening?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . .<br />JB
smile.gif

jets

Cadet

Hey JB,<br /><br />I haven't tried pumping the primer bulb, but it has always been hard while running. I will try that next. What about the water in the plugs? Will cleaning the carbs fix that?

JB

Missed that one, jets. A blown head gasket is not compatible with good compression. Did you see water on all plugs or only one? If there is water on all it could explain your problems; it would have to be coming from your fuel system. The question would be: how is it getting in there?<br /><br />First recheck your compression. You should have over 100# on all, with no more than 15# difference between them.<br /><br />I still have this eerie feeling that you are continuing a conversation that I missed the first part of. . . Is there an earlier post on this engine/problem??<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

jets

Cadet

Hi JB,<br /><br />My other question was about lower unit, changing the lube. I'm ok with that. There was water in only one plug that we saw. However, the compression is at 100.

JB

One cylinder with water. Hmmm. Think you need to check that head gasket, jets.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . .<br />JB
smile.gif

jets

Cadet

Thanks JB,<br /><br />I will check the head gasket. I'm a novice at repair. Is this a job I should try or just go ahead and take it to the shop?<br />Thanks again!!!

JB

It's a simple job if you have a decent set of socket wrenches and can borrow/rent a torque wrench. <br /><br />If you have a good service dealer that you trust, take it to them.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . .<br />JB
smile.gif

jets

Cadet

Thanks once again JB. I may try to tackle it and enlist my friends to help. Thanks for your advice. <br /><br />Jets