1979 Evinrude 85/bad compression

kingfisher

Recruit
Just bought a used bass boat with the 79 Evinrude 85. Happened to find a repair ticket stating that the compression on the port side was low, 75 on both 1 and 3 cyl, 100 on 2 and 4. Mech removed head and said there were "sticky rings" and scorched cyl. He put the head back on, used some Powertune, and put new plugs in. I ran it with the muffs on and it started fine, ran good and shifted easy. Have not put it in the water yet though. There is no pee hole as in my 115, water sputters out the exhaust ports, but there is no steady stream. One mechanic quoted over the phone, a rebuild price of about $400 a cyl, plus lower unit, carb rebuild, water pump, etc. Said he would not support it without doing all of it. About $1600 total. I really bought this boat as a spare as I have to get the transom rebuilt on my 77 Kingfisher bass boat. Anything I can do to improve my situation without putting out another 1600 on my 1500 bass boat? Thanks in advance.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Evinrude 85/bad compression

kingfisher; cooling is the most important. Thermostat,impeller,in the lake trial my be done on the cheap. Then use it, power tune it,and see if the compression comes up!<br /><br />------------------