spring starting problem Evinrude 115

bigmofish

Recruit
I posted this once earlier this month. I have gone through the same steps and problems for the past 4 years. I have a 1969 115 that has not started the first outing of the year for the past 4 years. There is no spark. I start through diagnostics and by the time everything is checked out and tests okay I have fire and the engine runs fine for the balance of the season. I am at a loss and frustrated that I have to go through this every spring. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: spring starting problem Evinrude 115

You got me. But it sounds like a ignition part is rusting-up over the winter. Perhaps under the flywheel? Maybee the stator is getting a coat of rust on it ,and after turning-over enough to remove the rust, it goes.<br />Also, try loosening then tightening all terminals you can get to,and see if it cures it..But this is just guessing out loud.<br />Hope you get it figured out.

bigmofish

Recruit

I have tried all of the items you suggested. One question I have is do you think it is possible for the pick up coil to be intermittent due to a small amount of moisture getting into the sealed unit. Once I pull the flywheel it could dry out and then work ok until it sits over the winter and has enough time to take on more moisture and fail to work? I guess that is a cheap enough part I should just replace it and see what happens.

nbpbborg

Cadet

After being an auto mechanic for years, I can say you are on the right track. I would bet it's moisture in a unit, due to an unsealed condition. Winters are condensation monsters. I would start at the coils and start replacing parts until she's fixed. Bad part is you won't know for sure till next winter. Either way you'll be out a fair amount of money -

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yo, bigmofish. In the interest of economy, next spring before you head for the marina the first time, stick a hair dryer up under your cover for about half an hour.<br /><br />Bon Voyage.<br />JB
smile.gif

bigmofish

Recruit

Thanks guys. I am going to replace the pick up coil and see what happens.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

JB, it's interesting you bring up a hair dryer. I had a customer back then that had to "warm up" his power pack on one of those if he let it sit for more than a couple of weeks. Don't ask me how he figured that out but he did. Once he got spark back it would work fine until he let it set. Those old battery CD systems were something else. He finally sprung for a new pack and I sent the old one to the OMC training center. <br /><br />I always wondered what his wife's hair looked like those days.