evinrude 3 out of 4

csmithrc

Cadet
I have an 77 evinrude 140hp that i found out has been running on only 3 cylinders(quite well i might add) but i am not getting any fire to the #4 plug.I have changed the coil out and just put a new power pack on today - still no fire.Think it may be the stator or timing base.I have the service manual and have checked out sensor and charge coils for ground with a ohm meter but do not have any way to test futher .Is there any way anyone knows i can check futher. Thanks

GaryS

Recruit
Re: evinrude 3 out of 4

Are you sure your not getting a spark? Put a timing light on the wire and see. Switch wires and see. If it were your stator you'd have bigger problems - like not getting up to full speed. look at the magnets under the fly wheel and see if they are cracked,What about the plug itself? I've been through that all on my 1989 175 evinrude.

csmithrc

Cadet

Thanks GaryS, found out the problem today,i finally took it to the shop.It was the timer base.The old one checked out ok but wasn't working.It was firing at the power pack but not coming out of pack.Thought pack was bad but we tried 4 different ones.The timer base checked out on all his test.Stange huh..And yes he is an authorized evinrude service man.<br />Anyway hopefully i'm set for the weekend.

csmithrc

Cadet

Thanks GaryS, found out the problem today,i finally took it to the shop.It was the timer base.The old one checked out ok but wasn't working.It was firing at the power pack but not coming out of pack.Thought pack was bad but we tried 4 different ones.The timer base checked out on all his test.Stange huh..And yes he is an authorized evinrude service man.<br />Anyway hopefully i'm set for the weekend.