1999 200 Johnson

GIV

Recruit
I am looking into buying a 1990 Proline 21 WAC that has been repowered with a 1999 Johnson 200 which is mounted on bracket. I have always had OMC motors in the past and have had good luck with them, but I am concerned about OMC's future and the quality of their newer engines. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 200 Johnson

That's a good motor when set up and run properly. Set it up to turn 5800 to 6000 RPM with an average load, FRESH 87 octane fuel, good oil and Champion plugs. It will be fine. <br /><br />Remember -- no motor is perfect. If there was a perfect motor it would be the only one sold. <br /><br />Good luck!

GIV

Recruit

Dhadley,<br /><br />Thanks for your reply. When you speak of setting the motor up properly are you referring to having the right prop on the motor to acheive this rpm range. Most of my fishing involves, running, trolling, running and so on. Are you saying that it is best to operate the boat at this rpm range when running or just have it set up so that it can. Am I correct that if you get the top end rmp correct that the same will be true for the entire power band. Thanks for your help.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats exactly correct. If it's capeable of 5800 with an average load then the combustion temps will be correct for whatever RPM you are running at. That is given you have the correct octane and plugs.<br /><br />Good luck!