Snapped bolt in lower unit

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I finally got my repair manual for my 70 johnson. And I found the bolt I was forgettting to remove. It was the one inside the trim tab cavity. I started to remove it, got it out about 10 half-turns, and....SNAP! I've got about an inch of it. The rest is inside the trim tab cavity, in a very inaccessible place. Any ideas? Should I give up and take it to a professional? All I wanted to do was change a little impeller!!!
frown.gif

Steve-01

Recruit
Re: Snapped bolt in lower unit

Ouch!! Well if you can get at it with a drill, you could try to drill into the remaining bolt shaft and insert the proper size EZ-Out. I have had mixed results with those but if you can get a good hole drilled, you stand a good chance. One thing...if the drill starts to walk to the side you could end up damaging the threaded hole. Did it snap off flush?<br /><br />Steve-01

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it snapped flush, but it is completely inaccessible. I don't even want to think about trying to drill it out....I'm more likely to do harm than good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

No, I hardly got any of it out before it broke. I'm guessing that there is still enough of the threaded bolt in both the lower and upper unit, holding it together. Worst possible situation.
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Spam, if it broke off flush,that one isn't holding anything,is it?<br />The reason I ask is, if you can remove the lower unit, You could take it in to a machine shop,while you finish the lower unit up.<br />They will probably charge you 20buks or so, but you wont have to deal with it,or run the risk of drilling and removal.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Sandbar? Sandbar? I don't see no stinking sanDBARRRrrrrr!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Use a torch and heat the housing (not the bolt or mid section). You may have to do it several times but it will drop. Take your time -- it'll come off. When it does the bolt will be exposed and you can go from there.<br /><br />Good luck!

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a whole bunch, everyone. I finally got the sucker to drop. You were right....with the bolt broken, it wasn't holding anything. I had assumed that it was threaded on both parts, and that the threads were holding it together. Nope. just held together with friction. So ends the problem, right? Wrong.
smile.gif
I removed the impeller housing, and was forced to cut the impeller along the hub b/c it was stuck on. Clymer's repair manual then intructs me to "remove the drive pin, and gently pry up the impeller plate." The plate is free, but...what drive pin???? On the shaft, there is a sprocket-type piece that the impeller was connected to. It doesn't appear to come off. But, as long as it is there, the plate can't come off. Was I supposed to cut this off as well? (It is metal) Or should i just be trying to pry it up with a screwdriver? Thanks again guys. Youi've turned what would've been a screaming nightmare into a run-of-the-mill nightmare.
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

There should be a pin holding that metal pice on. It goes thru it,and the drive shaft.<br />Without that, the shaft woul not drive the impeller. I have seen some units that have keys in a keyway (yours is not one of them),<br />that do this job. <br />The pin will be in the side of that metal piece,and only go about half way thru the shaft.<br />Let us know if you can't find it. I (or someone) will try to guide you thru it.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Sandbar? Sandbar? I don't see no stinking sanDBARRRrrrrr!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Just read what I wrote... The pin holds the impeller to the shaft. I was assuming the metal piece was what is left of the impeller?

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, 12footer. I'll look for it. Theoretically, once i get the pin out, the piece should come right off, right? Or might I have to play with it a bit?

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure....I guess it's part of the impeller. I don't have the replacement yet, so I don't know what it should look like.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It should look like rubber,with a metal hub.<br />That is, if it's the impeller.

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

If the metal hub is part of the impeller, than that is what I left behind on the shaft. The metal hub has several, evenly spaced small teeth, with the exception of one part where the raised tooth part is about 2inches long. At the top of this longer tooth is what appears to be a keyway, but with no key in it. I suppose at this point I should go and purchase the replacement impeller and figure out what's going on. Thanks for being so patient with me.

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got the new impeller on. Yes, the metal thing I was talking about was part of the old one and had to be cut off. The new one had a differnet key system then the old one, but I managed to make it work. Now, while attempting to remount the lower unit to the upper unit, I'm just having a little difficulty getting it up the last inch or so. My guess is the shift rod is stuck a little. Any hints on making this go a little smoother? Or should I just keep playing with it till it goes in? BTW, I did manage to remove the snapped bolt that started this topic.
smile.gif
Thanks for everyone's help.

TJWA1

Cadet

Had the same problem with my Merc. On the top of the moter you will find a nut connecting the fly wheel to the motor, rotate the flywheel until the shaft lines up and then you will be able to close that last gap on the lower unit. Make sure that the tranmission gear is in place also. SEE YA. GOOD LUCK.