3hp Evinrude 1962 - stared running on one cylinder

kalloway

Seaman Apprentice
3hp Evinrude 1962 - stared running on one cylinder

I bought an used lightwin and ran it over 3 hours before the problem started. The upper cylinder fires but the lower seems to flood. There is spark to the lower cylinder but I expect it maybe out of time. At first, I thought the carburetor float might not be closing, but when I shut off the gas and drained some from it and changed the plugs, the bottom cylinder still won't fire. All suggestion appreciated. <br /><br />Does anyone know how I'd check the timing of the spark to the lower plug?

Dunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3hp Evinrude 1962 - stared running on one cylinder

Kalloway, chances are the coil went bad. If she has the original coils in her they have a tendency to crack. Running her 3hrs probably supplied the heat to soften the old expoy coverings they used and it's weakened the spark. It could also be a bad condenser, they to do weird stuff with age.<br /><br /> There no way for one cylinders spark to get out of time. You'll need to pull the flywheel. Your best bet would be to buy a tune up kit(points and condensers) and two new coils from a NAPA auto store, they sell this stuff under the Serria name. http://www.theshadconnection.com/marine/index.html Also carry's these parts. They also have charts to find the Serria part number you need.<br /><br /> Buy a cheap(less than 10 bucks) harmonic balancer pulled at the auto parts store to pull your flywheel.

kalloway

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I have a puller. I won't mind giving the motor a good tune up and may just get all the tune kit, coil and carb kit from the website you mentioned.<br /> I'm concerned about the coil. It(the website) referred to only one coil. Since the upper cylinder is firing, I'm thinking it must not be it. I could probably shift the condenser and points around to see if the problem moves.<br /> But, somehow I think it must be flooding just the lower cylinder. Does that make sense, especially with only one carb?

kalloway

Seaman Apprentice

Turned out to be the head gasket. I was thrown off because it was getting gas???