1986 Evinrude 150 VRO

Paddling

Seaman
I have an engine that has thrown the magnets on two different flywheels a total of four times. What glue is best to use to stop this ? I want to repair myself to see if it has been done wrong in the past. Is there a better solution, like an after market flywheel?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Evinrude 150 VRO

I would be inclined to try Eastman 910,industrial strength,the predecessor to "super" glues. It is stronger than super glues but dangerous to use because it can stick open wounds closed. The consumer versions have been weakened to make them safer.<br /><br />If that didn't work I would get both surfaces surgically clean and try an epoxy. I've never tried this, but that's what I would do next. Good luck!

dougb

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 1986 2.6 liter OMC Sea Drives. Apparently this is a common problem when corrosion creeps in under the magnets, as the dealers sell epoxy specifically for this purpose. I have had good success with JB Weld also. Be sure to clean the surfaces well, a dremel tool works very well for this and then wipe the area with acetone. be sure to put small wood or plastic shims between the magnets to keep them from being drawn into the adjoining magnets. I have never had one come loose after re-gluing it, although it is a good idea to check the others at this time.

Paddling

Seaman

Thanks dougb, I had thought about jb weld but wanted to hear that it had been used successfully for this purpose. On the 3 flywheels that I have had glued, dealer mechanics used the OMC expoxy to re-glue all magnets and none lasted 3 years, hence the reason I am looking for other options. How long has the jb weld you used been in service?

dougb

Cadet

I had re-glued the magnets with both JB Weld one Sunday when the dealer was not open and the dealer epoxy on another occasion about 6 years ago, still doing strong. The key is to clean the surface really well, removing any rust or oil. The problem is that you fix the loose ones and a year later others are coming loose. Oh how I love boat ownership!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Reglue them all the first time. The ones still in place with factory glue will pop right out. True -- cleaning is the key. You can glass bead the flywheel also.

Paddling

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. Cleaning is under way. I should have all 6 glued in this weekend.