Johnson 175 block question

cmiller

Cadet
I have a 1989 Johnson 175 outboard that I have removed the heads to replace the head gaskets.<br /><br />I found a piece of the cylinder block missing from the outside of the sleeve on one cylinder. The part is approx 1/8 inch of the aluminum casting near the top of the cylinder and looks like a crack that may get bigger. <br /><br />The sleeve seems to be fine and the motor runs great. <br /><br />My questions are:<br /><br />Is this a death sentence for my motor?<br /><br />Can the motor possibly continue to run this way?<br /><br />Will this cause overheating since the cylinder sleeve is in direct contact with the cooling water?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />Chris

monty

Cadet
Re: Johnson 175 block question

Originally posted by cmiller:<br />I have a 1989 Johnson 175 outboard that I have removed the heads to replace the head gaskets.<br /><br />I found a piece of the cylinder block missing from the outside of the sleeve on one cylinder. The part is approx 1/8 inch of the aluminum casting near the top of the cylinder and looks like a crack that may get bigger. <br /><br />The sleeve seems to be fine and the motor runs great. <br /><br />My questions are:<br /><br />Is this a death sentence for my motor?<br /><br />Can the motor possibly continue to run this way?<br /><br />Will this cause overheating since the cylinder sleeve is in direct contact with the cooling water?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />Chris
<br />no yes and no in that order if it is a crack running along the cylinder drill a hole at the end of it w/ a 1/8" drill bit to prevent it from traveling if it runs around the cyl. try to bevel, or taper it as much as possible and run the hell out of it. the sleeves aresealed on the bottom and by the head gasket on the topjust make sure that the head gasket "ring" is crushed by the sleeve use a new gasket to check this then use another new one to assemble the motor do not do not do not over torque. good luck monty