johnson 120 coughs

mako1

Recruit
i have a 89 johnson 120<br />when i first start out in the morning,<br />if i bring the rpm's up to say crusing speed at 5000 rpms<br />as i'm tootling along the engine will skip a hard beat, almost i would say a cough,<br />i'll back the rpms down to 400 to stay on plane and it'll be fine<br />After 30 or so minutes it won't cough for the rest of the day,the power head was just professionally rebuilt,it DID skip previous also,A friend told me maybe one of the coils<br />Any Idea's??

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: johnson 120 coughs

Hello;<br />This is a little tougher a problem. Usually if a coil is bad, generally the longer you run it the worse it gets. The cough you describes sounds more like a lack of fuel at top end, why it goes away? I don't know.<br />I would take it back to the dealer who rebuilt it, I don't think it is anything they have done or overlooked but it might have something to do with it's previous failure. Have them experience the problem and advise.<br />Good Luck, Rob

mako1

Recruit

The original reason for the rebuild was ran out of oil (i know it was stupid)<br />it definatly seems electrical<br />the cough is very quick,<br />it dosn't fade or sputter,<br />I can usually fix most problems,<br />the person who rebuilt it also thought it might be electrical,so i thought i'd give it a shot myself,<br />i'll switch out 2 of the coils at a time,<br />then go from there

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />How did you make out with your coils?<br />Rob

mako1

Recruit

I haven't done a thing yet<br />I think i'll pick up a coil and trouble shoot middle of the week<br />I'll let you know<br />I did fix the radio<br />I got a new fish finder lowrance X75<br />that solved the radio interfearance