scott atwater 5 hp no spark, what to do?

scot

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Corm<br /> your help on my merc 35 was right on.<br />i took the carb apart and cleaned it .<br />put it back togather and hooked the hose up and it seemed to work quite well.<br />i also fixed the electric choke linkage the local marine put on but didn't work because of poor alingment. <br />My next problem is this if you could help.<br /> I bought two motors in a yard sale this weekend a 1928+ -- johnson 2 cyl.That i got to fire up after puting some gas in the carb bowl. <br /> A scott atwater 5 hp that doesn't have spark.<br />I've removed the recoil rope pull unit.<br />How to get the fly wheel off?<br />What to look for next?<br />What should i do to the carb?<br />Can i get a manual for it?<br />It' in great shape is it worth tinkering with?<br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks<br />Scot Marechaux<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: scott atwater 5 hp no spark, what to do?

Hi Scot,<br />A question for you.Is the hood green and gold<br />shapped like an egg or is it green with 1-16<br />on the tank.Oh ya thats it, is the tank on the motor or is it seperate.???<br />The ing is dfferent as is the carb.<br />If tank is on motor take it off, to get the flywheel off. Use a puller so you don't dammage the crankshaft.<br />Pt gap on either motor is .020 plug gap.035.<br />If you have spark then the carb,manual ect.<br />...good luck...corm

scot

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Corm Thanks for the reply.<br />We lake tested the mercury 35 yesterday and she ran real nice . thanks again for your help on that one.<br />The scott has a two piece removable cowl with hose hook up external tank.<br />Color is green and gold.<br />What next?<br />Thanks <br />scot<br /><br />
Originally posted by corm:<br />Hi Scot,<br />A question for you.Is the hood green and gold<br />shapped like an egg or is it green with 1-16<br />on the tank.Oh ya thats it, is the tank on the motor or is it seperate.???<br />The ing is dfferent as is the carb.<br />If tank is on motor take it off, to get the flywheel off. Use a puller so you don't dammage the crankshaft.<br />Pt gap on either motor is .020 plug gap.035.<br />If you have spark then the carb,manual ect.<br />...good luck...corm

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Scot,<br />Take the nut off(std thread).Lift off the flat plate and use a flywheel puller to lift the wheel off the tapered crankshaft.Then clean off the oxidation on the pts with 1000<br />grit wet or dry sandpaper. set pts at.020 when the cam follower from the points is on the high side of the cam on the crank. Put wheel back on (not reel tight)pull spark plugs and ground them to the motor. spin the motor over to see if there is spark now.<br />The condencers are probably shorted and if the coils are cracked they will probably be shorted out. I need to look and see if the cond.are vertical mount or horazontal. I haaven't worked on one of these for 20 yrs<br />so my memory is a little rusty.hehe<br />...let you know more soon...corm<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN

scot

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Corm<br />I'll pick up a puller and get it pulled off.<br />I'll also take some close up photos for you to see whats going on in side the area to be worked on.<br />later scot<br /><br />
Originally posted by corm:<br />Hey Scot,<br />Take the nut off(std thread).Lift off the flat plate and use a flywheel puller to lift the wheel off the tapered crankshaft.Then clean off the oxidation on the pts with 1000<br />grit wet or dry sandpaper. set pts at.020 when the cam follower from the points is on the high side of the cam on the crank. Put wheel back on (not reel tight)pull spark plugs and ground them to the motor. spin the motor over to see if there is spark now.<br />The condencers are probably shorted and if the coils are cracked they will probably be shorted out. I need to look and see if the cond.are vertical mount or horazontal. I haaven't worked on one of these for 20 yrs<br />so my memory is a little rusty.hehe<br />...let you know more soon...corm<br /><br /><br />

scot

Seaman Apprentice

HI Corm<br />Again I've been sucessful under your guidance!<br />I used a puller to get the fly wheel off, cleaned and set the points and got spark. YES!<br />Put it back togathyer hooked up the gas and she fired on the second pull.<br />NEXT QUESTION:<br />Where does the water exit on this motor?<br />I've looked all around where it might come out at the top of the engine but found no holes.<br />I started it in a tank of water and it seems to run great but am concerned as to weather its cooling or not.<br />How do I tell?<br />P>S> could I send you a bottle of New York State wine from the Finger Lakes area for your help?<br />We had my Penn Yan out on one Keuka Lake today for the Antique Wooden boat show at Hammondsport NY.<br />It ran like a top and looked good with the other boats.<br />Again much thanks.<br />Scot<br /><br />QUOTE]Originally posted by scot:<br />Hi Corm<br />I'll pick up a puller and get it pulled off.<br />I'll also take some close up photos for you to see whats going on in side the area to be worked on.<br />later scot<br /><br /> [/quote]<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Scot,<br />The Wooden Boat get together sounds like fun.<br />There is an Antique Outboard Motor meet in the NE part of the state that's cool too. Alot of race stuff.
smile.gif
<br />I'll check the book Monday as my memory is slipping as if there is a small hole drilled in the bottom of the head or a small rubber hose sticking out back side (would look like winshield wiper hose).<br />Thanks for honoring the offer of the wine. I<br />do this for many reasions, I may have to put wine on the list one of these days
biggrin.gif
<br />...cya tonight...corm

scot

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Corm<br />I took some close up photos of my scott atwater that might be helpful to identify locations etc.<br />Site of photos is:<br /> http://photos.yahoo.com/scot104 <br /><br />There is a rubber hose exiting the side but it looks to be some sort of drain from the carb.<br />Later Scot<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by corm:<br />Hi Scot,<br />The Wooden Boat get together sounds like fun.<br />There is an Antique Outboard Motor meet in the NE part of the state that's cool too. Alot of race stuff.
smile.gif
<br />I'll check the book Monday as my memory is slipping as if there is a small hole drilled in the bottom of the head or a small rubber hose sticking out back side (would look like winshield wiper hose).<br />Thanks for honoring the offer of the wine. I<br />do this for many reasions, I may have to put wine on the list one of these days
biggrin.gif
<br />...cya tonight...corm

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Scot,<br />On picture 003,just to the left of the bottom head bolt between the web braceing.<br />There should be a small 1/16 in hole there<br />for the tell tail. It would spray down through the square hole in the rear handle.<br />I couldn't see or tell by the parts picture<br />at work.<br />The motor has over heated before on the bottom cyl no big deal they all look like that by now.<br />The large threaded hole in the back starter support is for spare sparkplugs.<br />The rubber cap on the starboard side is for<br />the bail-a-matic,a hose with a sceened foot that laid in the bottom of the boat. It would drain the water out of the boat when the motor was running.<br />...real tired tonight...corm

scot

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Corm<br />I'll take a look and see what I can see.<br />Headed out to Vermont for five days of visiting my family and fishing some of my child hood spots.<br />Later<br />Scot<br />Hey Scot,<br />On picture 003,just to the left of the bottom head bolt between the web braceing.<br />There should be a small 1/16 in hole there<br />for the tell tail. It would spray down through the square hole in the rear handle.<br />I couldn't see or tell by the parts picture<br />at work.<br />The motor has over heated before on the bottom cyl no big deal they all look like that by now.<br />The large threaded hole in the back starter support is for spare sparkplugs.<br />The rubber cap on the starboard side is for<br />the bail-a-matic,a hose with a sceened foot that laid in the bottom of the boat. It would drain the water out of the boat when the motor was running.<br />...real tired tonight...corm[/quote]