88 johnson won't go

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 88 6hp Johnson that won't go for love or money but ran two days ago! I strongly suspect old fuel because my brother who started it two days ago mixed about a half gallon of old gas in the tank from last year with two gallons of new gas, then ran the motor for 5 minutes and ran it out of gas.<br />I have changed the plugs, checked the fuel lines and cursed so far. It absolutely will not start or even fire for a second (there is plenty of spark), so I am assuming a carb blockage -- am I right and if so -- do I have to rebuild the carb or can I flush it out somehow?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 88 johnson won't go

Suzukijoe,<br />You may have carbs full of water. There is a<br />drain in the lower part of the fuel bowl(carberator).Pull them out (4). Use the primer bulb to pump fresh gas through them.<br />Catch the gas as not to polute. Replace the plugs and try it. Hope it helps.<br />...corm...

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for answering Corm,<br /><br />I see you end up answering a lot of posts on this site so please don't feel obliged to answer this one (although I appreciate all the help I can get). I'll tell you what happened next.<br /><br />I did drain the carb (only one drain plug screw on bottom though) and replaced the plugs even though they looked pretty good. I also drained all the fuel lines and checked them for blockages and replaced the gas with new gas. It didn't work. It coughed for half a second with new plugs the first time I pulled it but that's it. Not a peep otherwise. I tried removing the plugs and putting them back again. Nada.<br /><br />Then I bought a carb kit and removed and rebuilt the carb. That didn't work either.<br />It coughed for a half second the first time I pulled it and then nothing. It's my first carb rebuild so maybe I screwed it up (I bought a Johnson shop manual to guide me through). The carb looked very clean to me -- I didn't see any build up at all on any parts and all the passages seemed to be clear. No gunk or dirt at all.<br /><br />There is definitely gas getting to the carb.<br /> <br />Anyway I can't think of anything else to do so I took it to the shop this morning.<br />Now it's sitting at the dealer who hopes he can get to it next week sometime. No motor this weekend! No idea what the bill will be.<br />thanks<br />suzukijoe (p.s. a Suzuki 55 manual is my main motor and it runs great touch wood)

Capt DHD

Seaman

Joe;<br />If I remember right the carb on your 6 Hp has a plastic top body, the low speed needle is positioned on the stb side. They tend to develop small unrepairable cracks. We have found them to be very fickle.<br /><br />2) Fuel is getting to the carb, how about to the plugs?<br /><br />3) Did you test compression?<br /><br />It doesn't sound to me as though running out of fuel created the problem, cleaning the carb should have corrected it.<br /><br />Just an idea, could you have crossed the plug wires when reattaching? I have seen engines out of time fit your description.<br />Interested in hearing the outcome.<br />Good luck, Rob

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Suzukijoe,<br />Some days I just have to laugh at myself.
biggrin.gif
<br />When I read your post,I miss read it.<br />I thought you had a 88hp
redface.gif
<br />So you couldn't find 4 drain plugs nomatter<br />how hard you look. Sorry about that.<br />I'm glad the Capt is here
smile.gif
<br />...corm...

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Corm and DHD<br />It runs good now (at least in the test tank)!<br /><br />according to the dealer the problems were:<br />-a "shorted out" kill switch<br />-a cracked float bowl likely caused by me trying to tighten the screws to 12 lbs torque instead of 12 inches torque when I rebuilt the carb (as DHD warned me too late those things are finicky)! I replaced the bowl myself. DHD may be interested to know the new ones are made of PVC instead of hard plastic so that dolts like me are less likely to screw them up!<br /><br />I'm not sure I understand the kill switch diagnosis since I was getting good blue spark before when I pulled the plugs (more than once). Thanks for your help guys. I'm certainly learning...

Capt DHD

Seaman

Joe;<br />Glad to hear of your revival. you say you found 12 ft lbs to be a little much? (just kidding. couldn't pass that up, I've pulled my share of no brainers to.) <br />Plastic is still plastic, alum still lasts best. in the DV carbs they have finally gone back to alum, maybe one day the small carbs also.<br />I'am not sure about the kill switch as well but the engine now runs well, sounds like your dealer got it right.<br />Hope you have a good season.<br />Rob