need tool to remove endcap of trim cylinder

MR GIBBS

Seaman Apprentice
GREETINGS ALL\ need to find the right tool to remove the trim end cap on a 1986 200 evinrude , i have tried looking on line but have come up empty, i could try to make one but it would not be the same,and i need to get a good turn on it since the last owner let things go, thanks in advance<br /><br /> Mr GIBBS

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: need tool to remove endcap of trim cylinder

Mr Gibbs,<br />Have you tried Sears for a Spanner Wrench? They should have one that will work or you could get one from the dealer$$$. It is part omc # 326485 for the end cap remover and omc # 912084 for the spanner wrench. Either will work, but I would make one or go to a Metal Fabricating shop with the dimensions and have them make the basic tool. You could then drill out the Metal and install pins wherever needed. Also below is a site where you can buy Spanner Wrenches.<br /><br /> Spanner Wrench

shane68

Recruit

Hey just made mine earlier tonight. 6'' crescent wrench drilled holes in the points. 5/32 use two bits upside down adjust too fit. Simple but it worked great!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I made a spanner out of 2 8 inch pieces of angle iron and 3 small bolts. Drill a hole in each end of the angle iron pieces, the same size as the holes in the trim cap. Bolt one end of the angle irons together and install bolts and nuts in the other end of the angle iron. Now you can adjust the spanner to fit most any trim end cap.

astrokc8

Cadet

take a piece of 1/4 inch flat iron. cut it to go aroud the piston / take a piece of paper and lay across the top of the cylinder , take a pencil and scribe across until you see the bolt holes in the top of the cap/ lay that over your piece of iron and center and drill the holes / get # 5 or #8 hardened bolts and tap the holes for the proper thread size / this way thay are adjustible for the depth of the holes in your end cap/ that's it and you have the tool / either tilt cylinder or you can make one for the trim cylinders

jonesg

Admiral

ez to make.

Attachments

• wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 14

wetboy86

Seaman Apprentice

Hey just made mine earlier tonight. 6'' crescent wrench drilled holes in the points. 5/32 use two bits upside down adjust too fit. Simple but it worked great!

This is the way to go, The spanner wrench is $$ exspecially OMC's.
I used an 8 inch wrench drilled 7/32 and tapped to 1/4-20 ran some bolts in and it worked easily. Best of all I did not spend anything and it is adjustable so the hole's did not have to exact. Thanks great solution!